« The Ties That Bind | Main | Incroyable! »

November 18, 2013

Oh, You Meant *That* Kind of Unisex??? Nevermind.

Somehow, we suspect that there will be no outrage on conservative blogs over the Marine Corps' recent decision to move to "unisex covers" for all Marines:

The Commandant of the Marine Corps on Friday approved a recommendation from the service’s uniform board to adopt the men’s dress and service cap for all Marines.

...Though Marines said the decision to change the female cap was driven primarily by the fact that the manufacturer would no longer be able to produce them, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus had asked the Navy and Marine Corps to consider unisex covers.

“The secretary believes that when you look at a group of sailors and Marines, you should see a group of sailors and Marines, indistinguishable by uniform,” said Cmdr. Tamara Lawrence, a spokeswoman for Mabus.

What a concept. We are just beyond relieved that Obama won't be forcing male Marines to dress like sissies.

Posted by Cassandra at November 18, 2013 08:22 AM

Comments

Hey, They've all but put NFL QBs in skirts. It's the zeitgeist. Or flouride. Or women. It's something.

Posted by: George Pal at November 18, 2013 09:58 AM

There's a general rule in our culture that women can dress in clothes that are traditionally male, whereas men cannot dress in clothes that are traditionally female. Insofar as this doesn't violate that general rule, it won't likely provoke outrage.

But the idea expressed here -- that making the uniforms structurally alike makes the sex indistinguishable by uniform -- is not going to prove any more true here than elsewhere where women have adopted traditionally male dress. The USMC's desert utilities are already 'unisex' in this sense, and quite loose-fitting as befits utilities, but it's as obvious when a woman is in them as if she were wearing pink camo instead.

The Army's going the other way, and crafting a uniform that is also allegedly "unisex," but which is really designed to better fit the female body (e.g., narrower shoulders) and needs (e.g., not having the rank insignia located right between the breasts). I've been inclined to mock them over it, not because it's wrong to devise such a uniform, but because of their insistence that it's still a "unisex" uniform that anyone can wear if they choose, rather than just admitting the truth that it's a uniform designed to address the legitimate concerns of female soldiers.

Posted by: Grim at November 18, 2013 12:17 PM

I just find it funny that people were making such a big deal over the Dan Daly cap being "girly".

*sigh*

Personally, I think the uniforms should look similar but be tailored to fit correctly (or fulfill whatever other utilitarian considerations there might be). Skirts for military women (except for mess dress, which is obviously not made to be utilitarian, but rather to look good) have never made much sense to me, though I like the way they look.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 18, 2013 03:04 PM

"pink camo"

What you just said! Bite your tongue!!
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 18, 2013 03:27 PM

Once in a DFAC at Camp Slayer, I saw two female soldiers wearing pink glory PT belts. :)

Posted by: Grim at November 18, 2013 04:47 PM

Much to my eternal shame, I own a pink camo handbag with pink ostrich feather trim (or maybe it's hot pink fringe - memory fails) :p

Posted by: Cassandra at November 18, 2013 04:56 PM

Oh, that's so sad. Makes me wanna go shoot something (cause I can) just to wash the virtual *spit* outta my mouth, but the weather hasn't gotten cold enough yet to bring deer, well the bucks anyway, out in the daytime.
As for you, Princess, we *know*. And if JHD were here, he could back me up.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 18, 2013 05:06 PM

Mrs Mongo, while still on active duty, got orders to deploy to an exercise requiring wearing of BDUs. The very first thing she did after receiving her kit issue was to take them to the tailor--so that they fit her in a more feminine manner. Every other woman did the same. Almost no men did. Mrs Mongo also had to qualify on the pistol, which I took in hand. But that's another story.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at November 19, 2013 09:49 AM

I love it! I would probably do the same.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 19, 2013 12:02 PM

And I, sneaky person that I am, took a photo of her in her full "Battle" gear, had it put on tee shirts, and gave one to her mother and sisters on her next birthday.;-)

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at November 19, 2013 03:51 PM

Guess I disagree somewhat on the headgear issue.
Under Navy uniform regs Women may have long hair, but must pin it up when in uniform. For those women a different style of headgear is helpful, as the standard Combination Cap is designed to worn quite snugly. Also don't see how a Dixie Cup would stay in place.

Not so much an issue for garrison caps (easy enough to choose a larger size to fit over the greater mass of hair, though it might need a hairpin to stay in place) or working uniform ballcaps (adjustable size).

Best Regards,