« A Chicken In Every Pot... | Main | Satire - A Dessert Best Served Cold »

November 20, 2013

When You've Lost SNL and the Washington Post

Saturday Night Live:

The WaPo has a slideshow listing all the problems the President claimed not to know anything about.

Even the Party Faithful are bitterly clinging to their pitchforks:

...at a recent caucus meeting with Senate Democrats and White House chief of staff Denis McDonough, one senator stood up and asked for a political point of contact at the White House.

“There’s been an increase in frustration because people feel like they are continuing to be blindsided,” said one Democrat who attended the caucus meeting, adding that there’s a “check-the-box” mentality at the White House in dealing with lawmakers.

CWCID for the last link: spd

We imagine the media can sympathize with that last bit.

Posted by Cassandra at November 20, 2013 05:42 PM

Comments

Gets grim for a Dem pol when the MSM and late night comics decide to pile on with mocking humor.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at November 20, 2013 07:33 PM

SNL still couldn't bring themselves to go without one last cheap shot to remind everyone that those nasty Tea Partiers are still out there lest people get dummy ideas about voting for the other side.

I guess we should be thankful for minor miracles.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 20, 2013 08:59 PM

I don't think too many people base their voting decisions on SNL skits, though.

I didn't see it as being much of a dig at Republicans, but maybe I'm interpreting it differently than you did.

There's no denying that parts of the Tea Party have put a lot of pressure on John Boehner (or the GOP establishment, or whoever the enemy is supposed to be these days) :p That's what they're essentially bragging about, so it's hard to see how that's a dig at them though maybe it's a dig at the much-loathed "GOP establishment".

Posted by: Cass at November 20, 2013 09:12 PM

I'm not commenting on any actual external effects, nor really on whether such a skit about GOP Establishment depression over the Tea Party couldn't be very funny.

But had SNL made that skit, do you think for a second they would have tossed in a parting shot at Obama and his problems?

I think they would have had no problem just making fun of the other side. But when it's their own side, they needed to add something in to shore up their own fragile egos.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 21, 2013 09:02 AM

You may well be right, Yu-Ain. But I had read about the swipe at Republicans before watching the video, and was rather surprised how mild a swipe it was.

I went in expecting to be offended and ended up thinking, "OK, that kind of made sense, given that it was also a parody of drug ads, because they often have exactly that same, "Now, there's an extra strength version too!" bit at the end.

I'm not arguing that SNL isn't partisan, but they've taken some pretty heavy duty jabs at Obama over the past few years. Whether or not they're capable of doing that without "balancing" it in a way they wouldn't, if it were aimed at a Republican I can't say b/c I don't watch the show and only see skits on those rare occasions when a blog I read links to them (which isn't often!).

I do see your point :)