« We Feel This Way Just Reading the News, Some Days | Main | Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday! »

December 23, 2013

Pretty Accurate

From a NYT quiz based on a linguistic study. Based on your responses to a series of questions, the quiz shows you the cities that most closely map the way you talk:

language_map.png

Growing up, the blog princess spent the most time in the Massachusetts/Rhode Island/Connecticut area until we moved to the DC area in the early seventies.

Also, this amused our reverse side away extremely.

Posted by Cassandra at December 23, 2013 08:08 AM

Comments

Wow! Newark/Paterson (and Yonkers and NYC) lit up like a firestorm for me while the areas of the South where I grew up were a pale orange glow. Apparently, I've lived up North way too long.

Posted by: Elise at December 23, 2013 01:56 PM

I got Sacramento and two other areas nearby, even though I told the program I said "ya'll." Not sure what to make of that. Maybe my ear is substantially different, so that what "sounds like X" to me is dissimilar.

Posted by: Grim at December 23, 2013 03:29 PM

Buffalo, Detroit, Grand Rapids. Huh? Devil's night, sneakers, and pop. Well, I lived in Lansing, MI for three years, late teens.

Dixie is bright blue with white spots. Florida is light yellow. From the west coast, south of Nebraska, and a line up through Main, is white with yellow spots. Montana, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan ... looks like someone's bleeding on the map.

Posted by: htom at December 23, 2013 03:37 PM

I came up with Madison, Milwaukee, and Rochester -- which is way off for somebody who grew up in Honolulu and lived in Los Angeles before moving south of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi River

Posted by: Patrick O'Hannigan at December 23, 2013 04:38 PM

Yonkers/Newark, etc. Thirty years in Dixie can't erase the kid from NY (although I will admit that I'm just as apt to say "y'all" as "you guys.")

And does anybody actually call crawly things "doodle bugs?"

Posted by: spd rdr at December 24, 2013 10:23 AM

Ms. Cass (and associated familiar members), I would like to take this Christmas eve to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Your writings continue to make me think (ouch) and amuse (he he he.) The world would be a much lesser place without your presence. I offer you a CWO5 hug and a hearty salute to the Spousal unit for all your service to the nation.

Posted by: kbob_in_Katy at December 24, 2013 11:09 AM

Merry Christmas, kbob, and thanks for the kind words (which I do not deserve) :)

They mean a lot to me.

Thank you for all you've done for this country over the years. Hope you and the Mrs. have a wonderful Christmas.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 24, 2013 12:54 PM

I don't think I've ever used the term doodle bug, but I have used "roly poly" for those little bugs that curl up when you touch them.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 24, 2013 12:56 PM

Howdy Cass,
The quiz scored me as Portland, Reno & Salt Lake City. Actually grew up in Seattle, have lived in FL the last 20+ years. Moved around a lot in between with the Navy, then a traveling job.

Thank you for the energy, wit and good humor that you and your friends share on this blog.

Merry Christmas to all.

Very Best Regards,

PS: Please say 'hi' to the Jarhead spousal unit, from the Squid.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at December 24, 2013 01:14 PM

Salt Lake is my central point. I am insulted in the extreme that the other two cities are both in Coliformico. Granted I did grow up in the PacNW, but I was born of very Mountain William parents who never lost their accents. And I spent over half of MH's military careeer living in NC where my own accent grew deeper and more southern by the week.
As I said, very insulted.

spd, my Pop said doodle bug my entire life both in reference to the creature and the VES.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at December 24, 2013 02:50 PM

Well, let me wiish each and every Princess, Villlain and Doodle bug a very warm, safe, and happy Christmas. May all your days be merry and bright.

spd

Posted by: spd rdr at December 24, 2013 04:27 PM

It gave me Shreveport, Baton Rouge and Jackson (MS). Never lived in those cities (or those states). Both patents were Texas born. Mom's parents were originally from Iowa. Dad's parents were also born in Texas, but we're not too far removed from the generation that emigrated from Germany in the late 1800s.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at December 25, 2013 10:49 PM

It came up with Boston, Worcester Mass. and Providence, R.I. - and I was raised almost directly in the middle of that triangle.

Posted by: RonF at December 28, 2013 11:39 AM

It pegged me as New England. I was born and raised just outside the triangle formed by the 3 cities it listed. Pretty good.

Posted by: Gringo at December 28, 2013 12:13 PM

I was really curious to see how I would come out.

My parents spent at least their teen years in New York, but my Dad spent his early childhood out west and my Mom spent hers all over (Ohio, etc).

I spent my very early childhood in California, then most of my grammar school days in New England (Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut briefly). At 13 I moved mostly down South (DC area, Tidewater area of Virginia). So there's a huge mishmash of places and influences.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 28, 2013 01:25 PM