« Mondays Totally Suck | Main | Let the Judgement Begin »

December 05, 2013

What They Said

Best intro ever: "for an intensely ironic experience, watch this on your phone":

We spent the week after Columbus Day in Hilton Head, SC. After unpacking the car on our first night, the Spousal Unit and I walked down to the beach to catch the sunset and take a walk.

It was a stormy evening - the last of a bank of rain clouds darkened the sky on the landward side, the wind was blowing birds this way and that as they wheeled and tried to land, and the surf almost seemed like it was calling out to us. Unbelievably beautiful.

As we walked along the beach, the landscape ahead of us looked like it was dotted with tiny stars...

Cell phones. About half the folks out there were intently focused, not on the scenery or on talking with their families, but on their phones.

I still don't know what to make of that.

Posted by Cassandra at December 5, 2013 06:05 AM

Comments

We are no longer a Republic.

We are a Confederacy of Dunces.

I personally have always hated cell phones, and now I have to carry one all the time. My children are lost without their I-phones.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at December 5, 2013 01:38 PM

u r 2 un kwl 4 n i fon don

Posted by: spd rdr at December 5, 2013 02:45 PM

I know what you mean (*cough) "i no wht u meen", Don. I have always prided myself on my refusal to text or tweet. Still holding the line on the aptly-named "Twitter", but much to my horror I've learned that the best way to get a quick response from my kids is to text them :p

Oh, the humanity!

Posted by: Cass at December 5, 2013 04:30 PM

Yeah, this really hits home for our generation.
A cell phone is a huge convenience, and a handy tool, but it hugely annoying to watch my adult kids texting during dinner.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at December 5, 2013 11:11 PM

Her: Honey, where is your cell phone?

Me: Well, when I was trimming one of the horse's hooves it fell out of my pocket, and he stepped on it.

Her: Does it still work?

Me: Not really, Nick (my wolf/dog hybrid) was eating the bits of hoof and found my cell phone.

Her: Are you trying to tell me the dog ate your phone?

Me: Why don't you try to call it, and see if it rings.

After that it wasn't really clear. I suspect bad reception.

Posted by: Allen at December 6, 2013 01:46 AM

I still recall watching my oldest son walking around with his Sony Walkman earphones in his ears as a teen.

I was constantly pulling them out of his ears and reminding him that it's rude to walk around the house with ear plugs that make sure you can hear anyone in your ears. I can hardly wait until the Grandpunks are teenagers.

Posted by: Cass at December 6, 2013 10:35 AM

I have 2 phones. One a government issued Nextel. The other a Blackberry Q10 which is my personal phone.
Kids today have even almost no social skills or the capability to learn them due mostly to the cellphone craze. It just makes the dumbing down of America that much easier.
What should we expect from them when they think a YouTube video by a 15 year old conspiracy theorists is a factual documentary?

Posted by: Joatmoaf at December 6, 2013 10:59 AM

I used to tease my BIL about texting from his downstairs couch to his son in his upstairs bedroom.....now I text the VES from my upstairs office to her downstairs bedroom....
BUT, she answers!
Every. Time.
*sigh*

Posted by: DL Sly at December 6, 2013 04:02 PM

The folks on the beach ahead of you will telling each other how beautiful and dramatic the sunset was, how tacky the tourists look, the number of dogs on the beach, and what they were going to wear to dinner that night. Oh, and did you get the new gift from Macy's Estee Lauder? To die for and I think I stepped in something and hope it didn't ruin my Manolo Blahniks.

Posted by: vet66 at December 6, 2013 05:33 PM

Hi vet66,
the beach is always great.
weenies talking about it, not so much.

Best regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at December 7, 2013 01:06 AM

Or worse! Read it on a blog written by someone who claims to be a tech weanie married to a former military insider!

*insert X-Files themesong here*