« Today's Moronic Tempest in a Teapot | Main | Questions and A Quiz »

January 24, 2014

I Think This Is What They Meant...

...when they said, "World Wide Web".

Via WND comes this:

Ask MetaFilter member JannaK presented the community with a puzzle that had been troubling her family for nearly 20 years. Her grandmother died in 1996 from cancer and in her last days she scribbled down a seemingly non-sensical string of characters on index cards. Nobody knew what it all meant. Then the Metafilter community solved the puzzle in 14 minutes.

According to the posting, JannaK’s grandmother left at least 20 of the cards behind but neither JannaK nor her cousins could solve what they assumed were codes. Her father discovered one of the cards lying around recently, and so JannaK put it to the community. Holy moly, wouldn’t you know it? The code turned out to be

Please go check it out, villains...and Princess. I can't help but think that this is what the creators of the interwebs really had in mind when they were dreaming up their theory of connecting everyone on the planet with everyone else *oh so long ago*.

Posted by DL Sly at January 24, 2014 01:17 AM

Comments

Wow. That's a great story!

I had seen the headlines but have had so little time to read or browse the 'Tubes lately that I didn't look any deeper. Thanks for posting it here!

Posted by: The Spanish Inquisition at January 24, 2014 07:49 AM

Enigma woulda cracked like a peanut

Posted by: Roy at January 24, 2014 09:40 AM

Enigma woulda cracked like a peanut

Posted by: Roy at January 24, 2014 09:40 AM

It is amazing what can be done with that kind of problem. StackExchange is another website where you can bring a lot of mental power to bear, especially on technical or math-related topics.

Posted by: Grim at January 24, 2014 11:10 AM

'*oh so long ago*'
Holy Moly, I distinctly recall the creation of the DARPA net . . .
Learned to write code initially using 'cutting edge' Fortran 78 with 3 x 8 card decks.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 24, 2014 02:04 PM

I hear ya, CAPT. I remember having to type commands in with DOS in order to do anything. I lost an entire writing program that way one time. But, for this Dark Lord, that was over 30 yrs ago..."A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 24, 2014 02:46 PM

CAPT Mike, you almost make me feel middle-aged. My first programming job was testing the Fortran II compiler on a CDC 3600.

Posted by: htom at January 24, 2014 03:05 PM

At the risk of opening myself to being criticized as insufferably meddlesome, at least by those poor, misbegotten creatures for whom the quasi-public pronouncement of their "own" :cough: obnoxious "thoughts", which, while occasionally impressive in terms of the shear breadth of their incoherence (e.g., an inarticulate calamity of logical fallacies, heartfelt anxiety, reckless profanity, and, for the truly intellectually indolent, fatuous sports idioms, such serial inanities being inevitably over-emphasized by over-excited punctuation!!! and post-modernist emotional runes :-), rarely convey more than declare the writer to be another mindless “me too” following the herd (albeit, a herd of bovines stampeding securely cloaked beneath the shroud of anonymity offered by gleefully insipid pseudonyms like “PiR8_Boy” or “OIM1QT4U2NV”), and yet which, despite their utter worthlessness as instruments evidencing formulated thought or opinion, the very act of vomiting these semi-literate musings across the floor tiles of the public forum (splashing the sandaled feet of the Philosopher Kings they so despise) allows these otherwise-avowed cowards a moment of import as an annoying distraction – fleeting, perhaps, but psychologically soothing to the tortured nullities who cannot escape the crushing gravity of their own insignificance again will soon plunge headlong down the black sky through clouds dyed with dread and tinged with scarlet ribbons of shame, down and down to empty lands, condemned to stumble ineptly across the broken wasteland of their wretched existence, its bleak, stark vistas haunting and mocking the desperate future that offers only impotence and inadequacy, ignominy and ….

Whoops! Look at the time! I gotta go home before I get killed. Anyway, I just want to let you know that I figured out the ciphers on my own, and that I think that they're pretty cool. I don't have time to explain it all, but you can see my answers and how I got them here.

Happy Friday, everyone!!!! :-)

Posted by: spd rdr at January 24, 2014 07:39 PM

Still having trouble thinking of a caption for the contest, huh?
And your link is broken.

Happy Friday!
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 24, 2014 08:30 PM

Link broken? Awww...
MOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Posted by: spd rdr at January 24, 2014 10:58 PM

I swear, do I haf'ta do everything around here?
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 24, 2014 11:05 PM

I Think This Is What They Meant...

"By The Wisdom Of The Crowd".

Posted by: OBloodyHell, I Brought My Penicillllll..... at January 25, 2014 05:44 AM