« Let the Judgement Begin | Main | You Tell 'Em »

January 15, 2014

Important "Fist Bump Disavowal" Alert!

This post is dedicated to the many souls who have found themselves asking that age old question: "When is a fist bump, not a fist bump?":

New Jersey Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D) is disavowing a fist bump he gave to Gov. Chris Christie (R) during last year's State of the State address.

DISAVOWING!!! This, people, is how you know you've got a major scandal on your hands. People start disavowing your fist bumps!

Sweeney, who has enjoyed an unusually cozy across-the-aisle relationship with Christie, appeared Wednesday on WNYC radio's "The Brian Lehrer Show" to talk about this year's speech and the growing bridge scandal. Host Brian Lehrer began by inquiring about the absence of a Christie-Sweeney fist bump at the address signaled a change.

"I didn't see any fist bump this year," Lehrer said. "Have things changed?"

Sweeney encouraged Lehrer not to read too much into it.

"Last year I was sick, Brian, and I don't believe in shaking peoples' hands when you're sick," Sweeney explained. "You know what I mean? So the fist bump was just trying not to spread a germ."

Pay no attention to what might (to those not in the know) have appeared to be a minor social interaction with no particular news value. This is why we need an intrepid journalistic class: to probe the Deeper Meaning behind such apparently innocuous gestures. Undeterred by the obvious attempt at a cover up, our hero DEMANDS answers:

Lehrer pressed the point and, noting Sweeney's "reputation as somebody who has worked with the governor very closely," asked if things are "different" in the wake of the bridge scandal.

What's that old adage about not asking questions you don't already know the answer to???

"They're different because we got the distraction of this bridge -- this 'Bridgegate' situation or, you know, that's what we're calling it. But you know, at the end of the day, to me, we still have the work of the people to get done," said Sweeney. "We're trying to minimalize (sic) this distraction of this bridge issue because, you know, the people, people expect to see progress."

Looks like someone didn't get the memo.

Posted by Cassandra at January 15, 2014 02:17 PM

Comments

Rats fleeing a listing ship.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 15, 2014 06:21 PM

But, but, but....Republicans!!!!!!11!!eleventy!!

Posted by: Snarkammando at January 15, 2014 06:41 PM

But, but, but....Republicans!!!!!!11!!eleventy!!

OH THANK GODDESS!

I was beginning to think no one had gotten the memo.

Posted by: Debbie Wasserman-Schulz at January 15, 2014 06:54 PM

Can't decide whether mocking DWS deserves double extra credit, or mild derision for taking advantage of the 'challenged.'

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 15, 2014 09:54 PM

Is it double extra secret credit? Cuz otherwise, it's just cheap whiskey.

Posted by: Snarkammando at January 15, 2014 10:52 PM

There are no words for how much I loathe that woman :p

Posted by: Cassandra at January 16, 2014 11:08 AM

}}} "We're trying to minimalize (sic) this distraction of this bridge issue because, you know, the people, people expect to see progress."

Hmmmm. I don't think that's a (sic). That's an unintended moment of candor.

They certainly want to minimalize the distraction, don't they?

Posted by: OBloodyHell, Yeah, lost your link... at January 16, 2014 04:48 PM

Hi Snak,
So please do explain, exactly what is wrong w/ cheap Whiskey?

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 17, 2014 07:42 PM

Not a thing, CAPT, if what you're looking for is arriving at a destination and don't care how you get there. That way can lead to many regrets, at the very least, if your lucky.
'Sides, it's cheap whiskey, man!
heh
BTW, just a quick reference for clarification and a movie suggestion:
Sheriff Buck Olmstead: "Cause he told the truth, and once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey."

Posted by: DL Sly at January 17, 2014 08:45 PM

Hi Sly,
and with genuine great respect.
this little game has resonance for me.
Have been down this road in a few ways.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 18, 2014 02:24 AM

Howdy CAPT,
Thank you for the compliment. I hold none in higher regard than those who volunteer to sacrifice blood, sweat and tears in defense of the greatest country history has ever seen. Those who go on to dedicate their lives to her continued existence hold a special place in my heart for I am the daughter of just such a man, and that nut rooted with the base of the tree. (No apples in my family, we were all nuts.)
0>;~}

"Have been down this road in a few ways."

I prefer feet first... that way you're ready to pop-up at second ready steal third if the throw is off. Can ya tell I'm ready for baseball season to start?
heh
Seriously, I'd been down that road so many times, as well, with more *lucky* breaks than I deserved (as I said in another thread, God believed in me more than I believed in him at the time) for the positions I (deliberately?) put myself in. But, even the toughest nut will crack if you find the weak spot in it's shell.
0>;~}