« As You Drink.... | Main | There's Someone For Everyone... »

January 03, 2014

'Phants!

From the balcony of our hotel room:

phants.jpg

Posted by Cassandra at January 3, 2014 08:15 AM

Comments

Thirty-five-Stampede off left ring on two. Ready? Break!

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 3, 2014 04:47 PM

Heffalumps?

Posted by: Don "Pooh Bear" Brouhaha at January 3, 2014 05:18 PM

We are going to the circus tonight. Last night we walked across the street and watched the elephants march over to the forum, tail-in-truck. It was pretty funny - the cops doing traffic control were as awestruck as we were :)

Two overheard comments:

"Pachyderms in transit!", and "Not a creature was stirring....".

Posted by: Cassandra at January 3, 2014 05:27 PM

looks like a very large threesome to me . . .

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 3, 2014 07:18 PM

Heffalumps, indeed.

Strange and foolishly true: my first radio airname was (we all had to be animals of some sort) Harry Heffalump, an early attempt at "shock radio" in a squeaky falsetto. Thankfully, he was not a hit.

Posted by: htom at January 3, 2014 10:39 PM

"...looks like a very large threesome to me . . . "

Sailor.
Lord, I love a sailor. Especially the *All Terrain*-type.
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 4, 2014 03:09 AM

"Heffalumps? Quid agebat?"

"Heffalumpabat."

From Winnie Ille Pooh

Posted by: Rex at January 4, 2014 10:04 PM

Hi Sly,
Awful truth is that not even Sailors love sailors. Ask a jarhead.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 4, 2014 11:37 PM

CAPT,
What do think an "all terrain" sailor is? I know, I married one. 0>;~} My brother was a Squid, though (an F-16 mechanic on the Eisenhower and Enterprise) - much to my Dawgface turned Chair Force father's chagrin.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 5, 2014 12:54 AM

Hi again Sly,
Might wanna ask your brother how they landed an F-16 on Ike and the starship . . . :)
BTW, The USS Enterprise actually was the fastest ship in our Navy for many years.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 5, 2014 05:56 PM

And the Big "E" had a hinged superstructure so it could fit under the Narraganset Bay Bridge. I could see why, after sailing under that bridge on the USS Wasp (CVS-18). We didn't need a hinged superstructure, but it was still close.

Posted by: Rex at January 5, 2014 10:14 PM

CAPT,
I wish I could. However, my brother was taken from this mortal coil many moons too soon...many moon ago.
*raises beer*

Posted by: DL Sly at January 6, 2014 12:08 AM

"moons"

Posted by: DL Sly at January 6, 2014 12:12 AM

Sorry Sly, my sympathy.
Sadly, my comment then falls very flat.
F-16's never flew off carriers; they are strictly an Air Force airframe.
Modern carrier airframes include:
F-35 (still in development)
F/A-18
EF-18 (replacement for EA-6)
F-14 (perhaps best interceptor ever built)
A-6
EA-5
F-4
A-4
plus sundry support aircraft (C.O.D., helos, S-4, E-2)
except for helos, all carrier aircraft are launched by catapult (*very* exciting!), and land arrested by a very large wire (*very* frightening).
Watching carrier flight ops from Vultures' row high on the Island, or actually on the flight deck (safety officers evaluate every landing from rear corner of flight deck) is *absolutely* as exciting and cool as portrayed in Top Gun.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 7, 2014 09:52 PM

No need to apologize, CAPT. It's my faulty memory for the mistake. My brother was in the Navy in the late 70's when stationed aboard those beautiful ships. My best guess would be the F-14 then. Either way, according to his commander, he was a helluva mechanic...worked circles around crews....when you could get him to come back from R&R.
Without either one or both of his arms in a cast.
0>;~}