« Unexpectedly! Obama Administration Throws CGI Federal Under the Bus | Main | What Could Possibly Go Wrong? »

January 11, 2014

The Craftiness!

Our first family dog was a beagle. Somehow, this does not surprise us.

Posted by Cassandra at January 11, 2014 11:25 AM

Comments

Yeah, I'm impressed!
Have heard they are a smart breed, but don't have any personal experience with them.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 11, 2014 10:18 PM

My Malamute, Tash and her littermate, Hunter, fought on three dimensions when they were five weeks old. They would also climb many levels such as this guy does to get to a desired item. This I found out the hard way when I discovered Hunter standing on the washing machine with his paws on the top of the fridge that was right next to it, eating the dog bones that were stashed up there. All the while Tash was waiting down below for the ones that got dropped.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 11, 2014 11:39 PM

Beagles are very loving and gentle, but extremely stubborn. They love to run free and are escape artists. Very good with children.

True story - when our kids were very young I provided home day care for a baby full time and several toddlers and school aged children. The baby was a little girl about 9 months old.

One day I came into the den to see Erin (the baby girl) standing in front of our beagle, who was cringing on the sofa but not growling or baring her teeth. As I walked over to see what was going on, I noted that Erin had her finger inserted all the way up our poor dog's nostril :p

Molly (the beagle) was so gentle. I wouldn't have blamed her for defending herself, but somehow she knew she was dealing with a child too young to understand.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 12, 2014 11:23 AM

...when I discovered Hunter standing on the washing machine with his paws on the top of the fridge that was right next to it, eating the dog bones that were stashed up there. All the while Tash was waiting down below for the ones that got dropped.

My dogs never did anything quite this impressive (or at least I never caught them!). Sausage did like to sit in my office chair when I left home. It was kind of funny seeing him there, looking at the monitor, when I got home. I guess that's what "Mom" did, so it comforted him on some level.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 12, 2014 11:25 AM

It's amazing how they always know they *babies* be they human or animal.

My newest pup, Sierra, is scary smart. She's a little over a year old now and already has a very large, specific vocabulary. Course, she is "Mama's girl", so she spends a lot of time with me talking to her, playing with her, setting boundaries, etc.
0>;~}