« There's Someone For Everyone... | Main | Public Policy and the Edge Case »

January 06, 2014

To Sleep....Perchance To Dream.

One of my childhood friends was a girl named Susie. Also at the time, one of the hits was an Everly Brothers song called "Wake Up Little Susie". Needless to say, it was always noticed when the song came on the radio. Did I mention it was a popular song? To Susie, it seemed like it was always on the radio. I remember one time we were sitting in our local theatre (the only one within a 75 mile radius) listening to the radio playing over the speakers while waiting for the movie to start when guess what came on? Yep! The entire audience started to sing along. Many of them were looking at my friend as, as I said, this was thee local theatre and we all knew each other. The seats in the theatre were covered in red fabric, and if Susie could have slouched down any further into her seat, she probably would have disappeared.
I was thinking of those times the other day. Phil Everly has passed away.

Growing up with their music planted a seed for appreciating accoustic guitar, tight harmonies.....and, later in life, a living example in coming back together in forgiveness and love.

From the YouTube page:

"When asked recently for the most memorable moment of his career, Phil Everly replied 'the Albert Hall reunion'. It was September 1983, and ten years on from one of the most acrimonious splits in popular music history, when the Everly Brothers, Don and Phil, took to the stage at London's Royal Albert Hall. One of the most successful duos of all time, the Everlys had dominated the charts in the late fifties and early to mid sixties. Their close harmony singing, acoustic guitars and brilliant songwriting had become instantly recognisable and inspired millions of fans worldwide. On an emotional night in London, the reunion was an unqualified success and led to the renewal of their partnership on an ongoing basis and many more years of success, which continue to this day"
(No, I hadn't read the YouTube page before writing this.)
My Mom loved the Everly Brothers. They were one of the hearthrobs of her generation, and their family had their roots in her home state. Many a Saturday morning were spent listening to Everly Brothers records mixed in with the likes of Patsy Cline, the Statler Brothers, Marty Robbins, Dean Martin, and, of course, Elvis whilst a true military spit and polish was put upon our Orygun Mountain William Mole Farm. (We even had a sign.)
I mention this because the other day also marked the fifth anniversary of the passing of my Mom. As a young and very Dark Lord, the relationship I had with my Mom was nuclear on the scale of those wonderful toys CAPT Mike got to ride in during his career. I lived a block from her office building for five years and never spoke to her. The hospital where she went in for surgery was within sight of my apartment, she instructed my family to not tell me.
Yeah.
N.u.c.u.l.a.r. as someone we know says.
But the Good Lord has many ways of working His magic.
He started with a daughter.
Throughout the years He continued to work on the stubborn heart He so graciously gave me. All the while He was also teaching me a lesson that I will never forget:

That while I may have not have always believed in Him.
He always believed in me.

One of her favorite singers has slipped into the etherial sleep from which one does not awake. Perchance to sing of sweet dreams to the many fans who have awaited his arrival. While here on this mortal coil we remain, with memories and music to ease the passing...of time and pain.

Posted by DL Sly at January 6, 2014 05:31 PM

Comments

This is a wonderful piece of writing, my dear friend.

Not for the first time, you've brought me to tears. Thank you :)

Posted by: Cass at January 7, 2014 10:38 AM

Thank you for the kind words.

"Not for the first time, you've brought me to tears. Thank you."

You're welcome.
I think....
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 7, 2014 01:26 PM

You're welcome.
I think....
0>;~}

Good tears :)

Posted by: Cass at January 7, 2014 02:59 PM

Nice, Sly. It is clear that your mom had excellent taste in both music and daughters. It's hard to believe that "Little Susie" was considered quite racy in its day (banned in Boston, of course). I loved "Susie" as a kid, and knew the lyrics by heart long before I understood their meaning, which today seems so innocent, almost quaint.

Posted by: spd rdr at January 7, 2014 03:52 PM

Very well put.

Posted by: Joatmoaf at January 7, 2014 04:47 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you liked it. And I'm really glad the tears are good ones, my friend.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 7, 2014 05:27 PM

Hi Sly, and hope you are well.

My family was also quite close; hadn't spoken to my brother for many years until our father passed away late last year. As we grow older it often strikes me as passing strange what small tidbits evoke strong memories and emotions.

Very Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 7, 2014 09:26 PM

Howdy CAPT,
I'm doing well, thank you. I've always found music brings back the strongest memories for me. Another one is smell and anything that smells like "Mom's cooking". I thought I'd never get to smell, much less taste anything like that again. That is until our retirement move from NC to MT. When it came time to pull the caravan over for the night, we pulled into a small freeway "pocket town" in BF Tennessee. The restaurant *associated* with the very small, dirt parking lot hotel had pot roast, mashed potatoes w/gravy, green beans and corn bread exactly like Mom used to make. Right down to real southern corn bread - without sugar. This meal, after several sanity-testing days preceeding that (we were DITY moving) - which included having to sit in Raleigh for 4 hrs while they repaired one of our already loaded Ryder trucks, was manna from Heaven, and I couldn't stop the tears from slowly trailing down my cheeks as I tried, unsuccessfully to savor each bite.
Thankfully, we were the only customers in the restaurant at the time.

Posted by: DL Sly at January 7, 2014 11:55 PM

That's interesting Sly, I have also found that music frequently evokes memories, but that smells are more evocative.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at January 8, 2014 07:53 PM

"Everyone knows it's Wendy." The song that played every ten minutes during my youth. Not to mention "We-e-e-e-endy, Wendy, what went wrong?"

I love the Everly Brothers, especially "So Sad" and "Let It Be Me." Best two-part harmonies around. Each part is so interesting by itself that it's often hard for two singers to disentangle them--each ends up drifting over into the other's part and finding that the "tune" he remembers from the radio is really a pastiche of both parts. Simon & Garfunkel songs are often that way, too.

Posted by: Texan99 at January 18, 2014 12:29 PM

I'm a harmony fiend. I grew up singing in church choirs and concert choirs and to this day, can't resist harmonizing with anything on the radio.

The most fun is taking a 2 or 3 part harmony and adding a 3rd or 4th part.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 19, 2014 10:16 AM