« Important "Fist Bump Disavowal" Alert! | Main | That's Gonna Leave A Mark! »

January 15, 2014

You Tell 'Em

I love dogs. I love kittens. I just wish they didn't always grow into cats. Some of my kittens have grown into cool cats, others, like the one that currently resides on the Dark Side with us, have not. However, it is not my cat. It is the VES's cat, and that, and only that, is the reason why it is still here on the Dark Side. But I digress... I always had dogs around when I was growing up. And, from the moment I moved out on my own, rare has been the occasion when there was only one residing on the Dark Side with me. When such times have occurred, the situation has been remedied within a few months. Now, one of the cool things I love about my animals (PITA cat included) is the fact that they all talk. It started with my first dog, Bart, a German Shepherd/Doberman mix that was one of the smartest dog I've ever seen. He easily had a 200 word vocabulary of commands. About the only thing I couldn't teach him was to fetch the ball off of a baseball bat. He would wait for me to go get them in the outfield, toss them back to home plate, and....you guessed it, bring them back to me in the outfield.
Silly damn dog.

But he was a helluva talker, and that's what started it all. From that point on, I made sure to teach my animals to talk to me. Now they pick it up "monkey-hear/monkey-do" style from the older ones as they get brought into the pack. From all indications, my newest pup, Sierra,

Sierra.jpg

is going to be quite the talker, too. She's just a little over a year old and may one day be as good as this guy - who definately has something to say to his person:

Tip O'the Stetson: The Daily Caller

Posted by DL Sly at January 15, 2014 09:18 PM

Comments

I did not know that dogs could talk. I've known smart dogs who used mime or Canine Sign Language, but not speech.

Posted by: htom at January 16, 2014 12:28 AM

Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at January 16, 2014 09:46 AM

Yikes - this is starting to scare me. I watched that video last night too!

Great minds. And great post.

Dogs are just amazing, aren't they? I still miss Sausage every day. He didn't talk, but he did this hilarious thing with the fridge.

The Spousal Unit used to give him a slice of lunch meat every day when he made a sandwich. After a while, if Sausage was feeling ignored, he'd go over the the refridge and bonk it with his nose, then bonk the Unit's shins, then bonk the fridge again.

Humans are so hard to train... :p

Posted by: Cassandra at January 16, 2014 01:56 PM

Funny - the version I saw had little balloons with strings of o's of varying sizes whenever the dog said "Nooooooooo....".

Posted by: Cassandra at January 16, 2014 02:00 PM

Thanks!

"Humans are so hard to train... :p"

Ain't that the truth!

My oldest, the Malamute, is quite the talker. She greets me when I wake up, when anyone comes home, tells us when she wants or needs to go out and when she wants back in. She also sings along when the VES is practicing for band. Needless to say, the others see the attention she gets for it and have started to get in on the act. It's really quite funny.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 16, 2014 02:36 PM

Hi Sly & Cass,
Looks to me like that beautiful Husky has put his human in his place.
BTW, my experience is that sled dawg breeds tend to be vocal.

Hi CAPT Mongo: Spot on!