« Coffee Snorters: Cold Hell Edition | Main | What We Know (About Science, At Least) »

February 18, 2014

How You Know Mom Still Loves You

Elephant tea:

elephant_teapot.JPG

Posted by Cassandra at February 18, 2014 02:20 PM

Comments

My Mom knitted me a hat during the Super Bowl.

Posted by: Grim at February 24, 2014 06:34 PM

I need to learn to knit again.

In the summer after my first year in college, I started knitted a sweater with cables for the Spousal Unit. When I was almost done with it, I broke up with him and was left with this gorgeous sweater I had worked so hard on but now had no use for.

So I decided to give it to him anyway - dropped it off at his house when I knew he was not there. It was Christmas, and I figured, "why not?"

He called to thank me and several months later, we were married. So knitting must be a good thing, right? :)

I bought two Christmas stocking kits for the boys but have been putting off starting them. I think I need a refresher in how to knit!

Posted by: Cassandra at February 25, 2014 09:44 AM

I'll bet that was a beautiful sweater. Sort of a Clancy Brothers kind of thing, maybe?

Posted by: Grim at February 25, 2014 11:23 AM

It was a nice sweater. We still have it somewhere. The irony is that I'm married to The Human Polar Bear and he rarely if ever wears sweaters - they make him too hot.

It was make from this gorgeous dark taupe (almost a charcoal) wool I bought at Pendleton Mills. Cost me 60 bucks, which was a lot of money back then!

But it was really beautiful.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 26, 2014 09:59 AM

It does sound nice.

My mother took up knitting a few years ago, I think about the same time that she started having grandchildren and grand-nephews and -nieces. Now she's knitting stuff for everyone, and more to give to charities (so the homeless might at least have warm things to wear in the cold winter). She's really into it.

I think Tex does a lot of needlework. She's posted examples of it from time to time. She seems to have a talented hand!

Posted by: Grim at February 26, 2014 10:49 AM

She does!

When I was a stay at home wife/mother, I did a ton of sewing (clothes, curtains, slipcovers, pillows, bedspreads and duvet covers), needlework (cross stitch samplers, 100% hand-sewn quilts, needlepoint, crewel embroidery) and other crafts.

I even sold crafts at bazaars. My long suffering family used to get a lot of home-made Christmas tree ornaments and decorations. My grandmother did the same thing - she made the most exquisite hand-blown Christmas ornaments from eggs. Some of them look like they ought to be in a museum.

I really miss doing creative work. You must be so proud of your Mom!

Posted by: Cassandra at February 26, 2014 10:56 AM

I use a knitting loom set called Knifty Knitters. They're cheap, easy to use and make knitting so simple not to mention fixing a dropped stitch is effortless. I made a really nice dark red, chenille scarf for a friend using one a few Christmases ago....I wonder if she still uses it.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 26, 2014 12:31 PM

Yes, I'm proud of her. :) Sorry to brag about family. I know that's always a bore. But she does do some fun things. She also does pottery, and other things that are less functional but more purely art.

Posted by: Grim at February 26, 2014 12:47 PM

Not boring to me at all, Grim. Few things in life are as important to me as family :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 26, 2014 01:05 PM

"Sorry to brag about family. I know that's always a bore."

Says who!!?
Not I.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 26, 2014 01:50 PM

"Yes, Sly - I still have it! And I wore it the last time I shoveled snow a few weeks ago. It kept me nice and warm :)"

Very kewl! That'll keep a smile on my face for a while.

Posted by: DL Sly at February 26, 2014 01:53 PM