« Admiral Jeremiah Denton, An American Hero | Main | Supes Buzzy, Totes Amaze »

March 29, 2014

All Kinds Of Kinds

Via Ace comes this truly inspiring video of a young woman who, due to the technological advances of our day, is able to hear for the first time in her life.
Get the kleenex out, villains, this one will warm the cockles of even the most jaded heart.

"The switch-on was the most emotional and overwhelming experience of my life and I’m still in shock now. I have to learn to recognise what these sounds are as I build a sound library in my brain.
"Hearing things for the first time is so emotional from the ping of a light switch to running water. I can’t stop crying and I can already foresee how it’s going to be life changing." The operation also means Joanne has been able to hear her own -- and others’ -- voices for the first time. She said: "I’m so happy. Over the last 48 hours hearing someone laughing behind me, the birds twittering and just being with friends... they didn’t have to tap my arm to get my attention which a massive leap."

Posted by DL Sly at March 29, 2014 11:39 AM

Comments

Outstanding!

Posted by: CAPT Mike at March 29, 2014 09:21 PM

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like not to be able to hear. I would feel so isolated.

thank you for posting this. The things we take for granted never cease to amaze me.

Posted by: Cass at March 30, 2014 09:13 AM

When I was a kid, I used to do things like take away one sense, ie sight, sound, etc., to see what it would be like. I found that I could go all day without sight, but spending even minutes in silence was excruciating for me. I can't even drive in the car in silence. My Pop was essentially deaf, even with the best hearing aids money could buy, so I've seen the anguish a lifetime of not being able to hear can cause. He once told me that if science somehow figured out that eating shit would give you back your hearing, he would ask for two platefuls.

Posted by: DL Sly at March 30, 2014 01:48 PM

I remember reading somewhere, individuals who are sense-deprived talking about which sense was worse to lose. The answer (and I've never forgotten it) was hearing, because "Blindness cuts you off from things; deafness cuts you off from people."

Posted by: colagirl at March 31, 2014 06:09 PM

"...deafness cuts you off from people."

After years of watching my Pop feel left out of the conversation, I can wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of that observation.

Posted by: DL Sly at April 1, 2014 12:59 AM