« Supes Buzzy, Totes Amaze | Main | President * »

March 31, 2014

Why No One Likes "Experts"

They're just so depressingly, unrelentingly negative:

Best part:

Management: That's it - now you've confused everybody! So.... what exactly is preventing us from doing this?

Expert: Geometry.

Client: Just ignore it.

CWCID: a co-worker :)

Posted by Cassandra at March 31, 2014 08:36 AM

Comments

I've been in that meeting! That was unrealistic, though. The meeting ended decisively after only a few minutes.

Posted by: Texan99 at March 31, 2014 10:20 AM

Heh:

I've noticed in any meeting with more than 2 people in it, the ratio of useful analysis that takes place/elapsed time appears to go up for about 1/2 hour, peak, and then head steeply downward :p

The video was particularly amusing given pretty much all of last week. That loud banging noise y'all kept hearing was my head on my desk.

*sigh*

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot-in-Training at March 31, 2014 11:14 AM

Funny and frustratingly familiar. Python-ish British humor.

By using THIS method you can draw anything with just straight lines.

Posted by: Joatmoaf at March 31, 2014 01:08 PM

No one mentioned *straight* lines. If you use crooked or wavy lines, the task is straightforward. Including the transparent lines--how are you going to prove they aren't there? But just to be safe, I'd draw the kitten using one of the transparent lines.

Posted by: Rex at March 31, 2014 07:18 PM

Including the transparent lines--how are you going to prove they aren't there?

Yanno, that's what I thought when the transparent thing came up. I haven't figured out how you get a 90 degree angle from two curved lines, though :p

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot-in-Training at March 31, 2014 08:15 PM

The transparent lines are supposed to be Red lines.
If they drawn as transparent red lines, as opposed to transparent clear lines, you should be able to see them.
Easy Peasy Japaneesy. Problem solved.

Posted by: Joatmoaf at March 31, 2014 08:36 PM

Down this path lies madness......

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at March 31, 2014 10:23 PM

Heh!
If you're willing to 'cheat' like the Physicists that favor multi-dimensional string theory, then you *can* draw *anything* you want using only straight lines.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at March 31, 2014 10:31 PM

Actually, you can have 7 straight lines all perpendicular to each other. So long as you have 7 dimensions.

You can only have 2 perpendicular lines in 2 dimensions, say the X axis and the Y axis.

You can only have 3 perpendicular lines in 3 dimensions, say the X, Y and Z axes.

You can't visualize in seven dimensions (at least not without some really trippy drugs) but you can do the math with no trouble.

You want to talk about perpendicular curves, then imagine what happens to your geometry when your axes are not X, Y ans Z, but X, X^2, and X^3.

Messed up stuff I tell you.

Posted by: Yu-Are Gonnano whose a Math Nerd at March 31, 2014 10:42 PM

Oh, and the transparent red lines are the ones Obama drew for the Syrians and the Russians.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at March 31, 2014 10:47 PM

This explains a lot of the enhancement requests we get: some of these people are living in a different dimension from the rest of us :p

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot-in-Training at April 1, 2014 09:33 AM

I'm sure you've seen this before, but it's still a favorite.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 1, 2014 11:05 AM

I wish I could say that video (original post) was funny. But it hits too close to home.

Posted by: MikeD at April 1, 2014 02:09 PM

I'm sure you've seen this before, but it's still a favorite.

Actually I hadn't seen it, but it reminds me of this one (which I've had hanging in my office for over a decade).

Posted by: Sometimes You're Carry-on, Sometimes You're Just an Old Bag... at April 1, 2014 06:38 PM

I used to have this one hanging in my work shed.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 2, 2014 01:16 AM

Cass,

You can have two curved lines crossing 90 degrees to each other if you draw them on a sphere.

Posted by: Rex at April 2, 2014 03:28 PM

Ah! This is why I love this place - you guys are always teaching me things I did not know!

Posted by: Cass at April 2, 2014 03:42 PM

Strictly speaking, curves may also intersect at 90 degrees even on a plane.

Take the 4 circles from exhibit #18. This is easier to see on the right hand side where the axes cross (the origin). The top and bottom circle are perfectly horizontal and the left and right circles are perfectly vertical.

But yes, weird stuff does happen on non- Euclidean surfaces like spheres, saddles, and tori

On spheres you could have a triangle where the angels add to 360: Equator @ 180W, Equator @ 180E, & North Pole.
On saddles, you could in theory, have a triangle where the angles add to 0.
And just thinking about the angles on a torus make my head hurt.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 2, 2014 04:44 PM