« Friends | Main | The Equine Experience »

April 26, 2014

Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

Can you say RAAAAAAACIST, boys and girls? We knew that you could:

Earlier this month, Alvin Holmes, who has represented the Montgomery-area 78th District for 39 years, bet a substantial purse on his claim that Alabama whites were incapable of tolerating black children.

“I will bring you $100,000 cash tomorrow if you show me a whole bunch of whites that adopted blacks in Alabama,” Holmes said. “I will go down there and mortgage my house and get it in cash in $20 bills and bring it to you in a little briefcase.”

The lawmaker wagered the large sum during a speech in which he stated that “99 percent” of Republicans in the Yellowhammer State would order their daughters to get abortions if they were impregnated by black men.

Holmes has a long history of offensive racial comments. He has accused Republican Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina of voting only as “white folks” tell him to vote and called Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas an “Uncle Tom.”

Last week, several families called on Holmes to pay up. Parents and children from mixed-race families gathered in Montgomery. Although the official purpose of the rally was to get Holmes to apologize, some members of mixed-race families want to hold the politician to his bet.

“I would like for him to man up — he’s made the statement, he needs to put his money where his mouth is,” parent Beverly Owings told WBMA-LD. Owings is the mother of an adopted 13-year-old black daughter.

Posted by Cassandra at April 26, 2014 09:07 AM

Comments

True for values of "whole bunch" = 1 + however many families there actually are.

Posted by: Texan99 at April 26, 2014 09:21 AM

I say make the boy pay in spades. (pun fully intended)
And make sure he mortgages his house to do it. None of that taking from his campaign coffers or getting help from anonymous donors crap.
Each day I'm getting more and more infected with C.S.I. syndrome, and I've yet to find a cure or even a symptom-reducing innoculant.
*sigh*

Posted by: DL Sly at April 26, 2014 01:18 PM

A reporter followed up with him and hee said he want going to pay up.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 26, 2014 02:31 PM

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 26, 2014 02:39 PM

A reporter followed up with him and he said he wasn't going to pay up.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 26, 2014 02:44 PM

Not sure that it is good thing for me to agree w/ Sly so frequently, but it is obviously not a good thing for our society to positively recognize an obviously racist Black man (or any other)*.

* I cry b*llsh*t on race as a matter of principle. Our physical differences are small, and blend out when we interbreed. The differences that matter are cultural (low level), and most importantly evidenced by individual chosen thoughts and behaviours.

I am deeply disappointed by those that seek to prolong racial animosity.

Very Respectfully,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at April 26, 2014 09:55 PM

"Not sure that it is good thing for me to agree w/ Sly so frequently,..."

Don't worry, CAPT, I'm sure it's just the beer talking. FWIW, that's when the Princess'll agree with me, too.
heh