« Something Cool | Main | A Paint Job Even I Can Afford! »

April 29, 2014

Get Thee From Me, Carr's Ginger Lemon Cremes!

Food should only speak when spoken to. Whispering sweet nothings into our shell-like ear from another room is completely uncalled for.

The blog princess will resume her inane blatherings later this afternoon or evening. Lots of irritating things going on in meatspace that demand her full attention.

Posted by Cassandra at April 29, 2014 01:26 PM

Comments

Yanno, no one ever had, "I'm glad I didn't eat that package of Carr's Ginger Lemon Cremes" written on their gravestone.
Just.
Sayin'.
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at April 29, 2014 02:10 PM

Are they really good? Because mrs. rdr just walked into the office with three boxes of them. I should try one right now...

(moments later...sounds of crunching)

Oh my! They are tasty, aren't they! Just what I needed! Crispy ginger cookies stuffed with creamy sunshine! Must make tea!

Posted by: spd rdr at April 29, 2014 03:01 PM

Uh oh. Only two boxes left!

Posted by: spd rdr at April 29, 2014 03:13 PM

They are awesome.

I have pretty good self control with cookies (I have to, because I would gladly inhale an entire package of Oreos if I could figure out how to maintain my self respect and my current dress size), but I made the mistake of having 2 with my coffee this morning and they have been talking to me ever since.

Cheeky things!

Posted by: Cassandra at April 29, 2014 03:25 PM

"Crispy ginger cookies stuffed with creamy sunshine! Must make tea!"

Tea?
Tea!?
*sigh*
tea......what has become of the once proud stallion of litigation? Shirley you should know by now that beer goes with everything! And if you think those crspy gngr cks stffd wth crmy snshn taste good all by their lonesome, you should try them with beeeeerrrrrr.
Mmmmmmm....beeeerrrrrrrr.

What? It's five o'clock somewhere....
0>;~}

BTW, how does mrs. rdr tell the difference between when you'd like another beer and when you're just really cold?
Inquiring minds and all, yanno....

Posted by: DL Sly at April 29, 2014 04:46 PM

It says "English Tea Cookies" right on the side of the box. Pair these with beer and mothers will cry.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 29, 2014 05:23 PM

Fudge.Stripes
Brownies.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at April 29, 2014 06:37 PM

While stationed at Great Lakes Naval Station for Electronic Technician A School in 1978, I had a ground floor room in BEQ 532.
All of Dec stayed away below freezing, so we could tie a string around the neck of our (very cheep) Miller High Life & toss it out the window. About ten minutes, Slush beer!
. . . And time to toss the next one out.

So. It's never too cold for beer.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at April 29, 2014 06:44 PM

Mike: You shoulda been there for the winter of '78. I was. Same school, same BEQ (third deck).
Coldest. Beer. Ever

Posted by: spd rdr at April 29, 2014 07:21 PM

I meant the winter of '77.
You WERE there for the winter of '78, which was the warmest on record. :-)

Posted by: spd rdr at April 29, 2014 07:22 PM

Hi again Spd,
Just looked up Chicago winters via google, to NOAA: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=CHI_winter_temps

looks to me like 78-79 is second only to 1903-1904, with 77-78 a few slots back.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at April 29, 2014 08:20 PM

"Pair these with beer and mothers will cry."

Not this mother. Although I could be persuaded to compromise with a little Amaretto di Sarono added in for flavoring...
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 30, 2014 12:52 AM

Well hell, Mike. Them's some cold numbers.

1903-1904 18.3
1978-1979 18.4 (Capt. Mike)
2013-2014 18.8
1892-1893 19.0
1976-1977 19.0 (spd)
1977-1978 19.1
Normal 26.4 degrees

Did we get a medal or anything for that duty?

Posted by: spd rdr at April 30, 2014 08:07 AM

I didn't even know these Ginger Lemon Cremes existed. Thanks (although I was probably better off not knowing).

Years ago my aunt taught me to eat ginger snaps by spreading a thin layer of butter on the flat side of one and making a sandwich with a second snap. Insanely good but I bet the lemon creme filling is even better.

Posted by: Elise at April 30, 2014 09:49 AM

Hi Spd,
I got my crow while there!
No medal, but watchstanding included scrapping ice off the sidewalks. Awful.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at April 30, 2014 02:47 PM

Costco has them, Elise. Bigger grocery stores sometimes have them in the specialty (foreign) foods section.

I used to make a hors d'oeuvre with ginger snaps and a curry and chutney cream cheese filling (yes, this sounds perfectly awful but people went nuts over it). And Amazon has them! (is there anything they don't sell?)

Posted by: Cassandra at April 30, 2014 04:41 PM

Don't forget the beer.

Posted by: DL Sly at April 30, 2014 04:45 PM

Actually, the ginger snaps with a curry and chutney cream cheese filling sound fabulous. The most addictive hors d'oeuvre I've ever eaten is a block of cream cheese with pepper jelly poured over it. Put that out with a knife and a stack of Ritz crackers and move aside lest you be trampled by the crowd. We made this with my sister-in-law's home-made pepper jelly last year and it was even better than it is with the store-bought kind - plus we had our choice of red or green pepper jelly.

I told my Italian class about the ginger lemon cremes today and sort of promised to bring some next week (I figure that's safer than bringing a whole box home just for me) so thanks for the tips on where to find them.

Posted by: Elise at April 30, 2014 05:45 PM

I used to make homemade pepper jelly (green and red!) every Christmas when I was still a SAHW/M. We eat it over Triscuits and cream cheese, but it's the same idea. A lot of years I gave people homemade Kahlua, pepper jelly, cheddar/cayenne biscuits, and tiny ginger cookies - labor-for-capital substitution when money was scarce.

The first time I had cream cheese and pepper jelly was when I started dating the spousal unit (it's a tradition in their family). I thought it looked gross until I tasted it. Now I love it.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 30, 2014 06:14 PM

Here's another weird hors d'oeuvre that was a big hit at parties:

Take a slice of thin sliced Danish ham (I like the rectangles - easier to roll up). Spread it with softened cream cheese, sprinkle a TINY amount of cayenne pepper on it - you can omit this part if you don't like spicy/hot foods.

Cut the narrow ends off a jar of hot pickled okra and make a line of okra across one end of the cream cheese. Slowly roll up the ham/cream cheese. I can't tell you exactly how to do this, but you're aiming for something that will look like a pinwheel when you slice the roll later on.

Refrigerate rolls a few hours (I wrap them in saran wrap), then slice with a very sharp knife and place flat side down on a plate. They look like pinwheels with an okra cross-section in the middle. Simple and cheap.

We should do a recipe post. Hopefully things will quiet down the rest of the week. It has been nuts so far.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 30, 2014 06:21 PM

Also try cream cheese topped with a dollop of Smithfield deviled ham spread and a smaller dot of red pepper jelly on top.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 30, 2014 06:27 PM

Maybe it's just because it's almost dinner time around here but the ham, cream cheese, and okra pinwheel thingie sounds wonderful. So do the cheddar/cayenne biscuits.

When things quiet down, a recipe post would be fun. I'm sick of everything I'm cooking/eating.

Posted by: Elise at April 30, 2014 06:49 PM

Here's a quick one for you Elise:
4 oz. Cream Cheese
1 c. Peanuts
Celery
BBQ Potato chips

Chop up the peanuts really finely and stir into the cream cheese. Spread into the celery and cut into bite size chunks. Eat each bite with a bbq potato chip.
Caution: It's very addicting.
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at April 30, 2014 08:40 PM

Here's an old favorite of mine:
carton vanilla ice cream
box Girl Scout Thin Mints
spoon
bowl (optional)

1. Mix ice cream and cookies
2. Hide

Posted by: spd rdr at May 1, 2014 04:22 AM

From our local Amish bakery, I give you "Yabba Dabba Doo Bars".

Make Rice Krispies treats, but replace 1/4 of the Rice Krispies with Fruity Pebbles. Ridiculously good.

Posted by: MikeD at May 1, 2014 08:44 AM

Haven't done the pepper jelly on cream cheese, but we've done something similar.

Take a thinly sliced bagette, top it with goat cheese and pepper jelly, then toast it.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 1, 2014 08:58 AM

I have *so* got to stop reading this thread right before a meal. :+)

Posted by: Elise at May 1, 2014 11:48 AM