« At Lake Wobegone the IRS, Everyone Is Above Average | Main | 'Tis A Silly Thing »

April 23, 2014

I Bet...

...y'all watch this at least twice. All I could say was, "Holy shit!" even after watching for the third time. frequent flyer and the rest of you zoomies out there will appreciate the skill - and anal retentive ability - of the pilot.
0>;~]

Posted by DL Sly at April 23, 2014 01:02 PM

Comments

Neat!
I'll have those wings now, junior.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 23, 2014 02:15 PM

spd,
The text that came with that link in my inbox said,

"This guy clearly has brass and you know the sailors on the flight deck had a cow when they saw this unfold in front of them. Intentional? Hardly! This is unbelievable!
A supremely well-trained US Navy pilot, ice running in his veins instead of blood, fully regains control of his $70 million, F-35 joint strike force fighter, after a problematic vertical take-off attempt... Watch as the rear vertical thruster fires to cause the problem.
There's nothing about this the pilot enjoys. If he could have ejected at 100' upside down and lived, he would have. Looks like the afterburner kicks in while still vectored for vertical takeoff. Lockheed would call this a "software malfunction" and do a little more "regressive testing". This is a good demonstration of power-to-weight ratio of this aircraft! And talk about stability control... wow!
If he didn't come out of the loop wings-level, it probably would have been bad news; maybe taking some of the carrier with him!
Add to this flying through your own exhaust, which can lead to equipment malfunctions, as in "flame out". The F-35 is single engine aircraft with vertical takeoff/landing capability, but it has the aerodynamics of a Steinway piano at zero airspeed. This is the most unbelievable piece of flying you will ever see in your life.
This guy's coolness saved a 70 million-dollar aircraft! On the other hand, he might not have had time to react to anything except just ride it.
I bet you'll watch it at least 2 times!"

If you watch closely, right as the jet is about to exit the picture at the top, you can see the thruster flame out. I can't help but wonder, with the unbelievable-G spin like that, if his pants didn't have time to get dirty because *it* all got sucked back up by centrifical force. In which case, that pilot may now have the worst case of constipation in the history of mankind.
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at April 23, 2014 02:40 PM

That guy was unfortunate, good, and lucky all within 5 seconds.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at April 23, 2014 04:27 PM

I don't have a Facebook account but if it's the video I found on YouTube, I tHink you've been had. It's video game footage.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 23, 2014 06:12 PM

I don't have a FB account either, YAG. Don't need one to see this vid. If this is a video game, even the VES says those would have to be the best graphics no has heard of. Which, of course, doesn't preclude the notion that it could indeed be just that - a fake. It's just that after watching it several more times, I'm seeing things that *seem* quite real - ie, the smoketrail after the jet levels and takes off, the fixed point of the camera (all the video games I know of, the camera follows the action), etc. But then, I'm not a photoshop detective, so my skills are quite rudimentary.
Still, as I said, you don't need a FB account to see the vid.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 23, 2014 07:16 PM

Had to turn off the mobile browser setting.

Notice in the right and left bottom corner there are status indicators (likely ammo and health). Also, while the description says the sailors on the flight deck must have had a cow, where are they. Every video I've seen of a flight deck shoes it to be a pretty busy place. But the video shows no people around at all, scared or otherwise. As for video quality what we have is heavily compressed which will hide quite a bit, but the gun in the foreground still looks "stair-stepped" instead of smooth. The fixed camera is probably the view of a second player in multiplayer (which would explain the "health and ammo"status boxes).

Just too much stuff for me to believe it.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 23, 2014 07:56 PM

Yep, according to Google, it's Battlefield 2.

Screenshots from the game have the same status indicators in the bottom corners.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 24, 2014 09:24 AM

Huh. So I guess my remark should be amended as follows:
Neat! I'll have that controller now, junior. Go finish your homework.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 24, 2014 09:45 AM

I didn't even notice those status indicators, YAG. I was so intent on watching the flight of the jet, and then after your first comment, trying to determine whether or not the ship's graphics were real or too blocky.
Nice catch!
Oh well, another cool vid shot to hell. Wonder if the kid did that trick on purpose or got really lucky while trying to figure out how to fly?
0>:~]

Posted by: DL Sly at April 24, 2014 12:16 PM

For those those of us with the greatest job in the world, however, it's just another day at the office.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 24, 2014 05:10 PM

If that was faked, they're really getting good.

Yikes.