« A Quick Note | Main | This Is Cool »

April 09, 2014

Interesting....

Apparently, Pep comics has decided that it's time to kill off Archie.

Archie and the gang.png

Now I, like Basil over at IMAO, was never much of a comic book reader. However, Archie comics were one that I did read with more regularity than any other, even going so far as having an Archie lunchbox to carry to school.
Archie lunchbox.png
So this is a somewhat poignant moment for the Dark Side. However, not poignant enough as to not shamelessly "borrow" Basil's game.
0>;~]
So, were you to choose a comics character to kill off, which one would it be?

Posted by DL Sly at April 9, 2014 05:06 PM

Comments

Aquaman, though who would there be to note his demise. But for sure, Astroboy. The humanoid who was in league with the Ministry of Science. That just screams 'fifth columnist'.

Posted by: George Pal at April 10, 2014 12:12 PM

I like the way yer thinkin', George.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 10, 2014 12:22 PM

Like you, I never grew up with comic books. Maybe the occasional Saturday morning cartoon versions, but even that was rare.

I hadn't even heard of Iron Man until the movie came out.

As for who dies? I say Loki. He's a puny god. :-)

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 10, 2014 03:00 PM

Gosh, I blew most of my allowance on DC & Marvel comics as a kid in the 60's.
Never had much use for Robin as a sidekick.
Archie's nemesis Reggie was easy to dislike, but would seem a tad much to wish ill for a perpetual adolescent.
There were *lots* of lame bad buys in comics; how can anyone take a 'Penguin' seriously as a villain?

Posted by: CAPT Mike at April 10, 2014 04:39 PM

CAPT,
Jughead was my favorite, but Veronica's vanity and materialism was more than I could stand. I could tolerate Reggie, probably cause I woulda just punched him, but what do you do with a "Valley Girl"?

As for villain names, I would think you'd *cower in fear* at Chairface Chippendale.
*snicker*

"As for who dies? I say Loki. He's a puny god. :-)"

*SNORT*
That wins the internet for the day! One of my favorite scenes from the movie.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 10, 2014 05:00 PM

how can anyone take a 'Penguin' seriously as a villain?

Well, the Dems take the Koch brothers pretty seriously as villains. Oswald Cobblepot is pretty easy to believe compared to that.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 11, 2014 09:31 AM

}}} Never had much use for Robin as a sidekick.

LOL, already done. Seriously. Dick Grayson moved on (took on a different costumed identity, "Nightwing"), was replaced by another kid, Jason Todd, who got killed by The Joker. Bats did a time of grief over that before taking on a new protege ("Tim Drake") using the moniker. That was like twenty five years ago. And it's been changed yet again multiple times. Yeah, really.

The full sequence is pretty complex, and, as anyone connected to modern comics knows, NO ONE dies forever. There are revisions and reboots and re-writes ("Here's what actually happened:"), and even full "retconn"s (retroactive continuity changes).

The distinctions between them is subtle, and deal with how sweeping and widespread changes are.

My biggest complaint is that it's never a true change, it's just, all too often, a way for lazy writers to find ways to retell the same stories as before, just with different dialogue and artwork. The number of really creative stories coming out of DC and Marvel is probably less than at any time in history.

Killing off Archie is pretty much just a re-hash of killing off Superman. It's a sign of how little creativity there is in mainstream comics any more.

You really do have to go to the indies to find anything vaguely new. And far too many of them cater to teenaged fanbois looking for tits and violence.

Posted by: OBloodyHell, "Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses." at April 14, 2014 01:28 AM