« Caption Contest - The Tax Man Cometh Edition | Main | Best. Op Ed. Ever. »

April 16, 2014

What Fools These "Adults" Be

Via V the K over at GayPatriot comes this delightful bit of didactical dimwittery (complete with misspellings!):

Part of a Sex Education Conference for Middle Schoolers brought to you by the State of Oregon and Planned Parenthood*

adolescent_sex_conference.jpg

When did sex ed morph from education about how our bodies work and the simple mechanics of birth control, pregnancy, and plumbing to actively encouraging kids to can have more (and better) sex with more people?

Good Lord.

The Editorial Staff are always torn on sex ed. On the one hand, most parents do a really lousy job of educating their own kids about the basics. Based on various conversations here at VC, we're not even sure most parents discuss the morals and ethics issues in any depth. So we are inclined to view sex ed as a good thing, so long as what is taught is factual in nature. People should understand how their own bodies work. We learn about frog anatomy, so human anatomy doesn't seem like inappropriate area of study. Girls should not reach adolescence without knowing the basics about menstruation and pregnancy. Likewise, having witnessed the turbulence puberty brought to our two sons' lives, we're inclined to think that leaving kids unprepared for the profound changes adolescence brings to their bodies and minds is just inexcusable.

Oddly, many conservatives have no problem with morals or values being brought into sex ed... so long as they are their morals or values. The push for abstinence education is a good example of this. And admittedly, abstinence is more appropriate for kids than pretending sex is some kind of morality-and-consequences-free zone.

Sex is something most adults don't handle terribly well. How or why anyone would expect children to handle it better than we do is one of those mysteries that passeth human understanding. Like most erstwhile "adult" activities, sex has significant risks associated with it (pregnancy, STDs, social stigma, bonding to the wrong person) that require both self control and thoughtful mitigation. Regardless of your values, seeing "adults" portray sex as just another inconsequential pastime that is just as appropriate for teens as it is for adults is - or ought to be - deeply disturbing.

But bringing vendors into the moral education aspect of sex ed seems downright perverse. Aren't for-profit corporations and Big Pharma supposed to be evil, heartless exploiters of the weak and disempowered? If so, why would any self respecting progressive let them within a mile of their kids?

Posted by Cassandra at April 16, 2014 07:20 AM

Comments

It had always been my opinion that slippery slope deniers would eventually discover them and equilibrium would be restored but I was wrong – I’d underestimated the gnostic penchant for repudiating all boundaries. Failing to acknowledge the slopes leads only to rejecting the idea of edges from which to fall.

The California assembly just passed Bill 1266. It makes it law that students may select their genders at will in the use of bathrooms, athletic participation, and showers. If it is not yet apparent that public education is sociopathic child abuse it may never be – until it is loo late. And if the 'educators' are all that, what to make of the parents and taxpayers? USA RIP.

Posted by: George Pal at April 16, 2014 11:36 AM

Their economy may be in the toilet, but at least the California legislators have their eye on what matters! :P

Posted by: colagirl at April 16, 2014 12:12 PM

George, just sit back and wait for the lawsuits.

I suspect the "everything is rape" whackos are about to collide with the "who cares about your feelings - MINE are the only ones that signify" crowd with spectacular results.

Of course I may be underestimating stupidity as a corrective factor in human affairs :p

Posted by: Cassandra at April 16, 2014 12:31 PM

Because high school guys would *never* want to hang out by the girl's showers.

As the Puppy Blender would say, "The Gods of the Copybook Headings are patient".

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 16, 2014 12:36 PM

I would pay handsomely to see this.

Posted by: colagirl at April 16, 2014 12:42 PM

I would pay handsomely to see this.

Watching various identity politics groups argue over whose viewpoint was more disfavored (and therefore deserved to be elevated over everyone else's) would be more than worth the price of admission.

I'm already poppin' the popcorn :p

Posted by: Cassandra at April 16, 2014 01:25 PM

Because high school guys would *never* want to hang out by the girl's showers.

Not to mention bisexuals and transgenders who identify as gay! The permutations are kind of mind boggling.

FWIW, I have genuine sympathy for a lot of these folks. I just don't quite understand the whole "my discomfort is more important than your discomfort shtick", especially when the only important discomfort is defined as the discomfort of the minority (gained by increasing discomfort for the majority).

Posted by: Cassandra at April 16, 2014 02:03 PM

The collision of the two crowds may make for great theater but nothing more. The rarest consideration in Gnostic/Leftist political circles is reconsideration of actions in light of their consequences. The confluence of deviants will coexist as Liberal tenets coexist with Islamic tenets.

Laws make a civilization what it is. Too many laws, and contradictory in their appeals, make for chaos – that is purpose and motive. If ever one wondered at how civilizations self-destruct, it’s the proliferation of laws and lawyers. If ever one wondered where vultures come from, it’s chrysalis Esquire.

Posted by: George Pal at April 16, 2014 02:22 PM

I realize this will make me seem like a big ol' meanie beanie, but I have not one iota of sympathy for these people any more. I used to, but they wore out all semblance of sympathy long ago when the Gaystapo organized. Now they're just another of the plethora of petty grievance committees looking to score more "Gotcha" points than the others for their "righteous" agenda (because only *their* cause is the one truely "right" cause - about the only time they care about being on the *right* side of anything) - not caring who they take down or the means by which they take them.
A scorched earth policy leaves nothing but scorched earth.

Posted by: DL Sly at April 16, 2014 02:27 PM

I have sympathy for many individuals who find themselves swimming against the current of popular culture because the nutjob activists are a (loud, whiny, and incredibly annoying) minority. I don't see how it's fair to blame an entire identity group for the actions of a few people in it. I'm female, but not a radical feminist who wants women to be more equal than anyone else. Likewise, I don't blame all blacks for Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, nor all men for the more loony of MRA types.

That wouldn't be fair in my view, and I suspect you agree :p

I've had to accept quite a few restrictions in my lifetime that were based on being female, and I am actually OK with that so long as they're not utterly frivolous or based on nothing more than uninformed bias. We are losing the notion of individuals having a place or voice in the larger social order, but not having the ability to unilaterally dictate terms to it.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 16, 2014 02:49 PM

A scorched earth policy leaves nothing but scorched earth.

That's true from one perspective (people remember and resent hyperbolic rhetoric and hold the entire group responsible even then it's unfair to do so). A fact I suspect will return to haunt us in 2016.

From another perspective, broad brush characterizations or assignments of blame are a human tendency I truly believe people of good will can and must resist. Don't blame anyone for feeling the way they do because I feel that way most days too.

It's just that I think we're more than our basic instincts. If we're going to surrender to them, we really are done for.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 16, 2014 02:52 PM

Colagirl and Cassandra, you will get your wish. You will pay. Were it not so.

The comedy of irony you desire shall surely come to pass. It will display the denials that George Pal's opening comment noted. It will resolve nothing, but instead increase chaos, just as George's later comment predicted.

There you will find the real bill for the comedy.

Posted by: Roy at April 16, 2014 04:44 PM

"...I suspect you agree :p"

Now, where's the fun in that!
heh
While I admittedly paint with the proverbial *broad brush*, I also keep in mind those who, while perhaps not of the activist mind personally, are completely willing to let someone else further their ideological agenda without so much as the appearance of even mild faux outrage or any attempts to admonish or speak out against those actions. Just as the Islamic community was/is often castigated for not denouncing those extremists who fly planes full of people into buildings full of people, if the homosexual community is going to let these few speak for them without reproach or correction, then I do honestly wonder if my brush is really as big as it seems.

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 16, 2014 05:17 PM

Roy,

While I will gladly admit that some minority of liberals (and some minority of conservatives) are so stuck in dogma that no amount of real world evidence can change their minds, I think that politics is largely a function of the muddled middle (the majority who aren't ideological and who - if the real world starts telling them something isn't working, will eventually wise up when the consequences become obvious/painful enough).

But I could be wrong. Most of human history suggests I'm not wrong, though, because this has happened over and over and over again throughout history. If something can't continue forever, it doesn't.

So one of several outcomes are possible:

1. this nonsense is so serious that it will destroy the fabric of our civilization and people will prefer the suffering that goes with that to simply making some changes.

2. This nonsense is so serious that the consequences will force people to change rather than face the destruction of the social order.

3. This nonsense is mostly fringe nutjobbery. It will have some serious consequences, but not enough to destroy civilization as we know it.

4. This nonsense is mostly fringe nutjobbery, but 5% or so of the population can bring down the other 95% (and they are powerless to stop the minority of offenders).

Which do you believe?

Our age is no different than previous ages because human nature hasn't changed one bit. I do worry that technology has made it far easier to get the masses riled up. But I remain unconvinced that what's going on today is any different than what went on in ancient Rome or Greece. Greece is still a mess, but it's also still standing. Rome is no longer an empire, but it too still stands.

Plus ca change, plus la meme chose (or words to that effect).

Posted by: Cassandra at April 16, 2014 05:18 PM

...if the homosexual community is going to let these few speak for them without reproach or correction, then I do honestly wonder if my brush is really as big as it seems.

Well, I'm pretty sure I got this story from a conservative gay blog that IS pushing back (and has done so for as long as I've been around). It's hardly the only one out there. And honestly, I've never known anyone who was gay who was also a radical gay rights activist. Most have been either decidedly conservative or centrist. Certainly I can and do choose my friends but I don't choose my neighbors and I've had several neighbors over the years who were gay.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 16, 2014 05:22 PM

This POS was for MIDDLE school?YHGTBSM! Where are the parents? Oh, it's Oregon, my bad.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at April 17, 2014 09:18 AM

I don't think there is going to be a collision much less a spectacular one because I believe there is a pecking order (hierarchy, if you prefer) among self-identified identity groups. The ordering is somewhat fluid but at this point it looks to me like everything trumps "women" and like homosexuality (L/G/maybe B/hold the T) trumps everything except Islam. Gender identity (Trans*) is making a break for second place and I'm pretty sure it already trumps "women".

So if teenage boys start using the Trans* argument to hang out in the girls' locker room, the push back will not be that Trans* issues are disruptive; it will be that - once again - the patriarchal culture is trying to turn oppressed peoples against each other. "Women" (girls) will be expected to suck it up and take one for the team. And they'll do so lest they be accused of being genderist, selfish, privileged, or right-wing.

Posted by: Elise at April 17, 2014 10:09 AM

I find myself torn about this. On the one hand, my stance is that I don't care one way or the other about gay marriage but I hate bullies. Thus my immediate inclination is to say, "On pox on your house."

On the other - and I never thought these words would cross my lips/fingers again - Andrew Sullivan, who did yeoman work on the Mozilla issue.

Posted by: Elise at April 17, 2014 10:14 AM

The longer I'm alive, the more I'm convinced that we see what we want to see. It requires more and more effort from me every day not to let that knee jerk every time I read some diatribe on the internet. When I have time to check the facts, too often I learn that a deeply one-sided argument is being made using an incomplete set of facts and often more than a little distortion involved.

That's a general note not aimed at anyone here.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 17, 2014 11:04 AM

I've observed more than a few times that despite all the attempts by some feminists to prevent anyone, anywhere from *ever* saying *anything* bad about a vajayjay-having persun, it is still generally acceptable to say things to and about women that one could not say openly about any other identity group :p

Our totalitarian overladies appear to be slacking on the job.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 17, 2014 11:11 AM

Colagirl sounds like a fun date!

Hi Cassandra,
First, hope you are mending well.
Second, this nonsense is sufficiently serious that it has already started to destroy CA as a viable state (net outmigration of productive people, consequent budget death spiral). I'm fine with that, as long as the feds don't try to make us pay for their foolishness.

Hi Elise,
Sure hope your analysis is incorrect.
I prefer the traditional:
- a man should give up his seat for a woman
- a young woman should give up her seat for an elderly woman
- the able elderly should give up their seat to a pregnant woman, or the physically handicapped.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at April 17, 2014 05:39 PM

"I doubt most of them knew or cared whether I knew their sexual orientation. It simply never came up."

And this is how it used to be. Actually, IM(NS)HO, how it should be with everything behind closed doors. That's how I was raised, anyway. It's none of my business.
However, that's not what the agenda is wrt the "homosexuals need full equality" crowd. For one, I still haven't seen where any have been denied any of the rights guaranteed by the Constitution, so I'm not sure where the inequality arguement got it's legs. I have seen, however, where homosexuals have taken the rights of others away for the simple act of not believing as the homosexual does. This is the reality of the *movement* today. It's not about just being able to come out of the closet and live your life as you want. It's about the demand for not just acceptance, but full and complete endorsement, of a lifestyle with which many people simply do not agree.
This is the basis for my hardened heart towards homosexuals and their agenda. I feel the same way toward black people who use the race card like an American Express. (I was going to say EBT card, but that might have been rayyyycist!)

"And honestly, I've never known anyone who was gay who was also a radical gay rights activist."

At the risk of sounding trite, this doesn't mean there aren't any. Just that you've been incredibly lucky wrt neighbors. I'm happy for you.

"I agree on Sullivan. I was only dimly aware of that story (a lot going on in my life during that time) but he did stand up to the bullies and deserves full marks for doing so."

Yes, he did.
Once.
Yanno, we disagree quite a bit, but it's the times I agree with you that you mark on the calendar.
0>;~}
There have been several high profile cases of homosexuals suing private businesses for daring to say that not only do they personally not agree with the lifestyle, but that their religion prohibits such and therefore the business would rather not do business with them. This, however, does not sit well with the "assimilate or else" crowd, and I have neither read nor seen any voice of support for these private citizens. I do, however, read a lot of vitriol aimed at them, including death threats, as well as the legal waters they find themselves drowning in when an activist judge sits on the bench.

Posted by: DL Sly at April 17, 2014 05:53 PM

Mike, things are better every day.

I had my first physical therapy appt. Monday and they were all making a big deal over how well I was able to move around. I came home feeling pretty full of myself and the next two days were... well... humbling :p

But the overall trajectory is definitely in the right direction. The upside of all this is that it really makes you appreciate the things you've taken for granted most of your life.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 17, 2014 07:41 PM

" I came home feeling pretty full of myself and the next two days were... well... humbling :p"

Don't listen to her, CAPT, she's kickin' ass and tellin' 'em to keep the bubble gum. I'm just worried they're going to improve her aim.
heh