« OK, That Was Strange.... | Main | Just Because.... »

May 06, 2014

Great Moments in French Justice

Question for the ages: when French citizens become dissatisfied with conditions in their native country, do they threaten to move to Les Etats-Unis?

When performance artist Stephen Cohen tied a live rooster to his penis and danced around in front of a group of nuns by the Eiffel Tower, he thought he was making a powerful political statement.

French police did not agree, however, and promptly dragged him away.

He accused them of having 'no understanding of what art is', and today he can feel vindicated, despite being convicted of 'sexual exhibitionism', after he walked away from a Paris court a free man.

Against the backdrop of the Eiffel Tower, and under perplexed gaze of tourists, including a group of nuns, he danced for only a few moments before police pounced, dragging him across the plaza, rooster still attached.

...'If I'm found guilty ... I will see it as a failure of French justice,' said the 51-year-old, who has lived in France for about 10 years.

...The Paris performance was a reaction to an increasingly homophobic, xenophobic and anti-Semitic world, Cohen told the newspaper.

'In showing the most intimate part of me, I'm saying: I'm male, I'm Jewish, I'm queer, I'm white,' he said.

He said the rooster, named Franck, was not harmed during the performance. The animal was chosen 'because it's the emblem of France,' he said.

He says he now plans to leave the country.

All of France weeps...

Posted by Cassandra at May 6, 2014 03:26 PM

Comments

In a unrelated story, the University of South Carolina has started the interview process for a new mascot.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 6, 2014 03:41 PM

So this proves that the true home of artistic expression is... Germany.

That seems surprising.

Posted by: Grim at May 6, 2014 04:19 PM

I firmly believe that "performance art" is the last refuge of the untalented prat.

Posted by: MikeD at May 6, 2014 04:46 PM

Does the fact that I could not invent these displays mean that I am not an artist, or that I am?

Posted by: htom at May 6, 2014 04:48 PM

I'm drawing a blank. Rooster-Nuns-Eiffel Tower, that just can't be topped, I think.

"under the perplexed gaze of tourists..." Yeah, I'll bet they were perplexed.

Posted by: Allen at May 6, 2014 05:04 PM

Well, several befuddled onlookers did remark that they thought it was a cock, but that it looked a little small.

Apparently, Mr Cohen thought that the cock enlarger he purchased (a five pound bag of field corn), was for him.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 6, 2014 05:59 PM

Additionally, Mr Cohen's rehearsals, like his performance, prevented the poor bird from getting a worm.

OK, I'll stop now.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 6, 2014 06:01 PM

That kind of foolishness tends to be self correcting over time.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at May 6, 2014 06:58 PM

"Last September Cohen appeared without warning in the Trocadero Plaza dressed in a corset, high heels, long red gloves and an elaborate feathered headdress with the rooster attached to his penis by a ribbon."

How is he supposed to carry the donuts?

Posted by: Evil Twin at May 6, 2014 07:38 PM

There's a T-shirt with an image of a rooster on it and underneath it is written "Stop staring at my cock".
Had he been wearing such a shirt the "Art" aspect would have been indisputable.

Posted by: Joatmoaf at May 7, 2014 11:50 AM

I lied. One more.

Mr Cohen added the bird to his routine after his, now, ex-girlfriend called it "The prancings of a cockless wonder".

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 7, 2014 01:43 PM

YAG -

Yesterday I read some of the comments on this post to my long suffering spouse at the end of the day.

You all are the best :)

Posted by: Cassandra at May 7, 2014 02:13 PM

My husband's contribution: "Pictures or it didn't happen."

Posted by: Texan99 at May 7, 2014 07:23 PM

Some folks just have no concept of appropriate performance art.

Posted by: Man Riding Unicycle Naked at May 8, 2014 09:31 AM

Some folks just have no concept of appropriate performance art.

Exactly :p

Posted by: Cassandra at May 8, 2014 09:47 AM

Some folks just have no concept of appropriate performance art.

Posted by: Man Riding Unicycle Naked at May 8, 2014 09:31 AM.

Man Riding Unicycle Naked--I've always wondered about your screen name. Apparently, there are TWO "performance artists"--one on each side of the Atlantic. The irony here (unicycle and rooster-man) is delicious! (laugh)

Posted by: frequent flyer at May 8, 2014 02:01 PM

"Some folks just have no concept of appropriate performance art."

Well, I guess that depends on which cock was performing...
0>;~}

Posted by: Evil Twin at May 8, 2014 03:25 PM

Dictionary.com defines DOODLE as "a foolish person"

It is also defined as "the penis". (Usually objectionable.) : "Put your doodle away, Jimmy, and flush the toilet."

Origin:
"probably extracted from cock-a-doodle-do; a euphemism for cock(3) , to avoid association with cock(1) , in sense “penis”"

Thus, the rooster and the penis becomes--"Cock-a-Doodle-Do"--it makes perfect sense--the man is indeed a genius--unappreciated by the Philistines! (snark)

Posted by: frequent flyer at May 8, 2014 04:25 PM

Mom always said 'be careful with your penis.'
Dad said 'be careful what you do with your dick.'

Guess this Frog had no parents.

Best Regards,