« Why Are Colleges Ignoring the Science on Trigger Warnings? | Main | First World Problems, Blessings of Affluence Edition »

June 18, 2014

Coffee Snorters: Trunk Show Edition

The Editorial Staff have oft extolled the prodigious talents and searing intellect of the noble Pachyderm. But even we were amazed to find these fascinating creates can create Modern Art by blowing paint out of their proboscii:

trunkshow.jpg

Explains a lot, don't it?

You keep showing that chart. But it doesn't mean what you think it means:

At Pew Social Trends, Gretchen Livingston has a new report on fathers staying at home with their kids.

...It is reasonable to call a father staying at home with his kids a stay-at-home father, regardless of his reason. We never needed stay-at-home mothers to pass some motive-based criteria before we defined them as staying at home. And yet there is a tendency (not evidenced in this report) to read into this a bigger change in gender dynamics than there is. The Census Bureau has for years calculated a much more rigid definition that only applied to married parents of kids under 15: those out of the labor force all year, whose spouse was in the labor force all year, and who specified their reason as taking care of home and family. You can think of this as the hardcore stay-at-home parents, the ones who do it long-term, and have a care-work motivation for doing it. When you do it that way, stay-at-home mothers outnumber stay-at-home fathers 100-to-1.

We are shocked.... SHOCKED WE TELL YOU!... to find the media inaccurately reporting the latest Science. It's almost as though there were an agenda.

Hmmm... speaking of Genda Agendas... what in the Holy Heck is going on at the NY Times?

In this post I present the most comprehensive analysis ever reported of the gender of New York Times writers (I think), with a sample of almost 30,000 articles.

This subject has been in the news, with a good piece the other day by Liza Mundy—in the New York Times—who wrote on the media’s Woman Problem, prompted by the latest report from the Women’s Media Center. The WMC checked newspapers’ female byline representation from the last quarter of 2013, and found levels ranging from a low of 31 percent female at the Times to a high of 46 percent at Chicago’s Sun-Times....

01. Women were the first author on 34 percent of the articles. This is a little higher than the WMC got with their A-section analysis, which is not surprising given the distribution of writers across sections.

02. Women wrote the majority of stories in five out of 21 major sections, from Fashion (52 percent women), to Dining, Home, Travel, and Health (76 percent women). Those five sections account for 11 percent of the total.

03. Men wrote the majority of stories in the seven largest sections. Two sections were more than three-fourths male (Sports, 89 percent; and Opinion, 76 percent). U.S., World, and Business were between 66 percent and 73 percent male.

WHEN WILL THE WHITE HOUSE COMMISSION ON WOMYN AND GIRLS FINALLY FREE US FROM THIS TOPICAL PINK GHETTO! It's almost as though they don't really want to win the #WARONWOMENZOMG!!11!.

*sigh*

Via Herr rdr, we are amused to find that (completely unknown to the Editorial Staff) our humble hometown is actually a hotspot of... well... extreme hottitude:

Walking downtown beneath the shadows of the clustered spires, your heart starts racing. Your palms start sweating. You start slurring your words.

You think to yourself, maybe it's the humidity. No, that's not it.

Frederick is just that sexy.

What happens in Fredneck, stays in Fredneck. Believe it.

According to this, the Blog Princess is:

Well adjusted.
Adaptable.
Someone who needs her space, doesn't like being overwhelmed, and hates crowds.
Artistic and creative.
Confident.
Comfortable in her own skin.
Private.
Introverted.
Imaginative.

Well alrighty, then. Not since Cass's Whack Little House o' Crack and the infamous Pig Debacle have we felt so enlightened.

But enough of this tomfoolery. You people are so shallow. Just for once, can't we focus on Really Important News Stories Like This One???

Work with me, people.

Posted by Cassandra at June 18, 2014 06:50 AM

Comments

Hmmm. Leads me to ponder the gender stats for blogs. Who writes what? Betcha there's phd research in that question, with "who woulda thunk it" level conclusions.

Posted by: Roy at June 18, 2014 09:56 AM

I used to write about the "WHY OH WHY AREN'T THERE MORE FEMALE BLOGGERS!!11!" debate, and my memory is that women are less likely to blog in the first place and more likely (when they do) to focus on the stereotypical "women's" topics.

Years ago I ran a couple of gender analyzers on VC and usually the tool thought I was a male writer, probably b/c I wrote about war and law and politics.

It has always seemed to me that guys are interested in a wider range of topics than most women when it comes to world events, sports, politics, etc. My husband reads news articles to me all the time and sometimes I think, "Gee - that's kind of interesting but it's so remote from anything I care about that - left to myself - I would not have bothered to read the article at all!"

Which is one of the great things about marriage - you get exposed to all sorts of things you wouldn't otherwise encounter.

Men seem to have less interest than most women in a lot of the topics that traditionally interest women (culture, psychology, families and marriage, etc.).

Of course, there's considerable overlap but people still think it's weird when a woman enjoys discussing foreign or domestic policy issues :p I've encountered this at many a military party over the years - I've lost track of the times I've gotten a somewhat-surprised look from the man I was talking to when it became clear that I knew something about the topic we were discussing.

Posted by: Cass at June 18, 2014 10:14 AM

OK, I give. Pinkwashing? I understand that other people will have their own set of concerns but, can I express my own? Get the heck off my lawn. Just leave me alone.

Tantosterone?

Forgive me, I think I've got a hairball. Ackkk, ackkk.

Posted by: Allen at June 18, 2014 10:33 AM

"An executive spray tan party?"

"REALLY???"

"What did you hope would happen there?"

No matter how many times I hear it, that's still funny :p

Posted by: Executive Spray Tans, Inc. at June 18, 2014 10:48 AM

Get the heck off my lawn. Just leave me alone.

PINKWASHER! Oh no, wait -- this will really sting:

#PINKWASHER

Posted by: Twitter is for.... at June 18, 2014 10:50 AM

I'll have you know I have nothing to do with pink. Since you provided that fine link I have tanned my bod, and I am ready to partaaay.

As far as the chicks go, the local hardware store has them on sale. The young chickens that is. You're killin' me.

Posted by: Allen at June 18, 2014 11:43 AM

HEY, BUSTER.

DON'T KNOW YOU WE DON'T LIKE BEING CALLED "CHICKS"?

The *nerve* of some people.

Posted by: Nobody here but us chick... err...*hens*... at June 18, 2014 12:03 PM

And then there are those of us who don't need spray tans cause they're still tan from last year.
Even up here in the cold, wet PacNW.
heh

As for handwriting on the wall, I kept waiting for the final "i" style, that of not dotting an "i" at all, to tell me what kind of person I am. Cause, yanno, after all these years, I'm still trying to figure it out, and I just knew that this vid would finally give me the epiphany that I've been seeking. But alas, I'm still lost in the mist.......
0>;`]

Posted by: DL Sly at June 18, 2014 01:01 PM

From Cass--"It has never been a bad sort of look (nor a disapproving one), but the surprise is pretty much a constant :p I've noticed the same surprise when I've disagreed with something they said, but I can't think of too many situations when a man has seemed put out by this. Just... surprised.

I've inferred (hopefully correctly) that they rather enjoyed it, since they didn't change the subject or get mad."

Why else would you suppose we like to visit here? (other than the snark, of course!)

For men--having the insight on important issues from women bloggers is like having an interpreter! (laugh)

Posted by: frequent flyer at June 19, 2014 11:30 AM

At a high level, men and women really do seem to approach issues from different perspectives :) I've always viewed this as a feature, not a bug (sorry - have been immersed in writing test cases and requirements this week, so have bugs on the brain).

FWIW, I love hearing what (and how) you guys think too.

Posted by: Cass at June 19, 2014 01:02 PM

It seems to me that these elephants work harder for their keep than do most of the new "disabled" who latch onto the Government Teat due to Obama Administration policies.

Posted by: MathMom at June 22, 2014 12:00 PM