« Business Traveller's Quiz | Main | The Evolution of Dad's Dancing »

June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day, Pop.
The fifth one now without you around to actually shout those words to over the phone. Well, come on now, you were hard of hearing - if *hard of hearing* means a bomb can go off next to you and you'd feel before hearing it. 0>;~]
So much has happened in that short amount of time. Mom joined you just a few months after you left, MH retired from the Marine Corps and the VES not only started high school but has finished her froshman year on the honor's list despite being cocooned in the dark at home for two of the last three months with a grade A concussion. (Yes, I know, she's as hard-headed as her Mom.) Speaking of your granddaughter, I'm sure you were smiling as she drove that beautiful Chrysler 300c (Has it really been almost 10 years since you picked that car out?) to get her driver's license last week. You should have seen her eyes shining when she also paid for it herself from the money she earned babysitting.
They're still shining, by the way.

You never got a chance to hear this young man sing, but you would have loved him as much as your favorites George Strait and Hank Williams. His name is Chris Young, and he's put to music so many of the things I never got to say before that last heart attack, the bullet you finally couldn't dodge, took you away. Things like, I know I wasn't the frilly little girl you and Mom always wanted, but you were my hero and anything you were interesed in I wanted to do, too.

He said [Monk] hold it still
Keep that beam shining straight
He'd have a 9/16ths in one hand
Working on that Chevrolet
It seemed like every Saturday
Soon as the sun went down
We'd be huddled underneath that hood
Tinkering around
And of all of the great memories I have
The best ones are those nights just me and my dad

He'll never know how much he taught me
Out in that garage
And I guess the stuff that stuck
Was more about life than fixing cars
Cause to this day I still can't make 'em run right
But I sure did learn a lot
Just holding the flashlight

He told me a lot of stories
About Grandpa and the war
While he was trying to show me
What a carburetor's for
And I learned a couple cuss words
When he skinned his knuckles up
And I found out momma was the only girl
He ever really loved
But when I asked him about
[life], he just laughed
Said if we stayed out here all year
We wouldn't have time enough for that

He'll never know how much he taught me
Out in that garage
And I guess the stuff that stuck
Was more about life than fixing cars
'Cause to this day I still can't make 'em run right
But I sure did learn a lot
Just holding the flashlight

Up to this day I still can't make 'em run right
But deep inside I know that it's alright
'Cause I sure did learn a lot
Just holding the flashlight

Thanks old man

[personal editorial changes ~ DL Sly]

It's funny how much my tastes in music mimic yours now that I've grown older and have a family of my own. Your country music could never penetrate my ears when I was "Hot-Footed Hannah".
I hear it now, though.

And I *get* it, too.
I love you, Pop.
Happy Father's Day.

Posted by DL Sly at June 15, 2014 05:30 AM

Comments

Happy Father's Day, Sly.

Posted by: Grim at June 15, 2014 10:50 AM

Thank you, Grim, but the day belongs to you, the Spousal Unit, MH, spd, YAG, all of our Mike's and CAPT's, and all the Dad's who hang out and lurk here.
Happy Father's Day.
0>;~]
~ DL Sly

Posted by: DL Sly at June 15, 2014 12:05 PM

Nice job, Sly.

I did a similar one on the 10 year anniversary of the loss of my father a couple of years ago—written “from the family and extended family.” I host the entire extended family for Thanksgiving at my house (76 attended last year). One of them mentioned that they had saved the letter—it turned out that nearly ALL of them had done so as well. It’s a way of communicating and sharing with friends and family—as well as a chance to put your own thoughts down on paper. It’s a way to have an admittedly one-sided “conversation” with your Dad again. I know I felt good in doing so—hope you did as well.

Posted by: frequent flyer at June 15, 2014 01:37 PM

A wonderful tribute to your father Sly.
Hope you have a great day w family.

Thank you.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at June 15, 2014 01:41 PM

Thanks, guys.

CAPT,
I put the brisket on the smoker last night at 12:30. When it comes off sometime today around 4-ish, I'm hoping for Father's Day meal fit for a king....or at least a Marine. No, wait, that might be setting the bar a little low.
heh
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at June 15, 2014 02:05 PM

The most miraculous thing about fathers is that they are always with us, even if we can't see them. In a way, they live forever.

Beautifully written, my friend :) Hope you save this somewhere for the VES.

A belated happy father's day to all the dads here. We spent yesterday at my brother's house, celebrating the priceless gift of one more year with Dad.

Posted by: Cassandra at June 16, 2014 08:18 AM

Once my rather told me wistfully a story about Richard Feynman's father, who encouraged him in extreme youth to think a certain way about physical problems, like why the ball rolls to the back of the wagon when you put it. My father said, "I wish I'd had a father like that." I told him I HAD had a father like that, and I don't think I ever saw him happier. He was not like anyone else I've ever met, and I miss him every day though he's been gone for almost 20 years now.

Posted by: Texan99 at June 16, 2014 10:54 AM

"Hope you save this somewhere for the VES."

Well, I s'pose that depends on whether a certain Blog Princess decides to tear down these walls...umm, blog in the future......again.
*snnnnnicker*
heh
And, actually, the VES, being a budding writer herself (and quite a good one, at that) usually either knows the content of most of my posts or helps me with some of the basics like choosing pictures for the caption contests, etc. And she most definately knows the significance of these songs as the poor thing has had to listen to me singing them in the car and around the house time and time again.
0>;~}