« Caption Contest | Main | VA Flags "Disgruntled" Vets »

June 26, 2014

Life Begins at 60

Oh, like you people don't do this sort of thing all the time:

A fishing boat smashed head on into runway approach lights at La Guardia Airport early Sunday after the vessel’s drunken captain deserted the helm for a three-way sex romp...

...The wild night began Saturday in a tavern in College Point, Queens, where boat owner Craig Gallo, 51, James Benenato, 60, and Mary Ann Belson, also 60, began chatting between drinks, another source said.

Neither of the two men had met Belson before.

Gallo, who lives in New Jersey and works for a financial company on Long Island, invited them aboard for a moonlight cruise. And before very long, the boat was rocking.

The joyride ended abruptly at the end of Runway 22, where the boat got impaled on a lighting stanchion.

Belson is being treated for a possible broken nose and jaw, and Gallo, who was later charged with operating a boat under the influence, suffered facial injuries. Benenato was not hurt.
They were lucky the boat was supported by the stanchion. Otherwise, the badly damaged craft might have sunk while they waited for help, the source said.

Before the wreck, “a consensual three-way sex endeavor was going on,’’ the source added.

“There’s a moral here: If you’re feeling amorous aboard a boat, I suggest you drop your anchor before you drop your pants.’’

Clearly, we have not been living nearly dangerously enough of late. We are going to have to step up our game.

Posted by Cassandra at June 26, 2014 07:49 AM

Comments

Life begins at 60?

Did spd rdr write this?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at June 26, 2014 11:11 AM

Nah. But now we know why he's always daydreaming about buying a boat :p

Posted by: I'm *So* Gonna Pay for This at June 26, 2014 12:03 PM

Kids these days with their "hook up culture" and their "binge drinking". If only they were respectful and respectable like their elders.

/rolleyes

Posted by: MikeD at June 26, 2014 02:33 PM

"We are going to have to step up our game."

I told you to keep the disco ball and trapeze, but would you listen to me?
Nooooooooooooo.
That'll lern ya dern ya.

Posted by: Evil Twin at June 26, 2014 03:55 PM

Always drop your anchor before you drop your pants. Words to live by.

Posted by: Texan99 at June 26, 2014 04:02 PM

Is it just me or is it ... interesting ... that what Cassandra finds worth highlighting about this incident is the age of two of the participants? If that's the part that leaps out at you, I'd say you must be living quite dangerously enough already.

Posted by: Elise at June 26, 2014 06:26 PM

"Always drop your anchor before you drop your pants. Words to live by."

Welll, darrlin', some of us have ta drop our pants in order to drop anchor....

Posted by: The Wyzzyrd uv Izz at June 26, 2014 10:53 PM

Exactly :)

Posted by: Cassandra at June 27, 2014 04:35 AM

I told you to keep the disco ball and trapeze, but would you listen to me? Nooooooooooooo.

There's something about being strapped into The Foam Maiden that makes swinging from a trapeze distinctly unappealing :p

Posted by: Cassandra at June 27, 2014 04:38 AM

I would say this was a violation of COLREGs rule 2(a) a.k.a. "General Prudential Rule"--which was always explained to me as the "Don't do something really stupid" rule;-) Never in my seagoing career did I imagine anything quite THIS stupid though. Then again, booze, sex and an underway boat at night--what could go wrong? Somewhere Darwin is laughing.

Posted by: Capt Mongo at June 27, 2014 08:53 AM

Actually, I'm thinking Darwin is a bit disappointed that the stanchion held the boat up, and he missed the opportunity to aquire three new award candidates.

Posted by: DL Sly at June 27, 2014 01:15 PM

I'm waiting for them to blame the GPS autopilot.

Posted by: htom at June 27, 2014 06:01 PM

At ease, Don. Shipmates, as I prepare for one last jibe before the long downwind run towards port, it occurs to me that some aboard might benefit from my passing along a bit of advice given me when I was still a NUB myself. Remember these two simple rules, and you too can grow old happily:

The first rule of happy sailing is: "Don't hit anything." The first rule of a happy marriage is exactly the same.

That is all. Dismissed.

Posted by: cmdr spd rdr at June 28, 2014 09:20 AM

Folk in taiji class were teasing me about Medicare and becoming 65. I said I'd have to admit to entering middle age. Our instructor overheard and insisted that middle age didn't begin until 80. She stomped her foot, started whistling "Hernando's Hideaway", and swept me off across the dojo in a tango. It's only a number.

Posted by: htom at June 28, 2014 09:31 AM

I know a dark secluded place.
A place where no one knows your face.
A glass of wine a fast embrace.
It's called Hernando's Hideaway!
Ole!

Oh holy cow, that brought back a flood of memories!
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at June 28, 2014 11:19 AM

Ummm, Mom?, Ummm, Dad?

What is this bottle of champagne and the orange juice doing out so early, and why are you two barely dressed?

Mimosas, and we're not dead yet.

Posted by: Allen at June 28, 2014 12:24 PM

Forgot to mention that she's 75.

Posted by: htom at June 28, 2014 03:37 PM

Hi Spd,
By tradition, it actually goes:
'A collision at Sea can ruin your whole day'

Regards,