« Caption Contest | Main | The Cantor Race as Rorschach Test »

June 10, 2014

Something Fun

A test! To see from whence your common slang originates.

The Dark Lord's slang was revealed to hold these origins:
British
27%
American Folk
24%
Dutch
16%
Spanish
16%

Which doesn't surprise me as my slang comes from my Pop who was born and raised in the American southern heartland, spent a great amount of time in Great Britain first as a soldier in Patton's Army then again as an airman in the newly formed US Air Force and had as his fondest memory of his time in the Army the trips he took to Holland for R&R.
The test is of course, limited in word selection and there were a couple that didn't have my actual word preference, but, it's just for fun, folks. So, go, have fun, and learn something while yer there.

Tip o'the Stetson: Bookworm Room

Posted by DL Sly at June 10, 2014 08:01 PM

Comments

It says for me, "Rule Brittania! With a little French cachet." American Folk in third place, although they didn't really have many Southern options.

Posted by: Grim at June 11, 2014 12:03 AM

British & American Folk

Your Slang Style is Rule Britannia, With the pride of the heartland too.
British 32% American Folk 25% Dutch 17% French 13%

At least a quarter or third of the choices did not include what I said when I answered, and I ended up choosing something I say sometimes. I suspect the (Pennsylvania) Dutch and French comes from my Father's parents, the British from my Mom, and the American Folk from my friends and classmates over the years. The missing are probably various Norsk things from my Mom's parents.

Posted by: htom at June 11, 2014 01:25 AM

Like htom, there were several questions that didn't include words I use often. In that case, I chose a word I knew I'd used before (most of the time I'd never used the others).

Still:

BRITISH
28%
FRENCH
26%
AMERICAN FOLK
18%
ITALIAN
13%

Posted by: Cass at June 11, 2014 07:41 AM

Yeah, I hear ya. I suspect the only reason why I have the Spanish percentage at all is because the first question didn't have the word "Balls" or "Guts", so I went with the closest word: cojones, because I have used that word occasionally.

FRENCH 26%
I knew you were French!!
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at June 11, 2014 12:49 PM

BRITISH
40%
HIP-HOP
17%
AMERICAN FOLK
16%
FRENCH
15%

Posted by: Texan99 at June 11, 2014 07:04 PM

Is there a link that does go through Facebook?

Posted by: CAPT Mike at June 14, 2014 03:45 AM

The link goes to the test site on their FB page. It's a public page, so you don't need an account to visit. I don't have FB. Never have, never will. So, if I send you to a FB link, be assured it's on a public page.
Does that answer your question?
0>;~}