« For the Record, We Are Totally OK with This Sort of Thing | Main | Coffee Snorters: Sad Dog Tai... errr.... Tales Edition »

June 05, 2014

Spring Beauty

The first peonies of Spring from the Blog Princess's garden. She was in a mad rush, so we just stuffed them into a wine carafe that was handy.

peonies_small.jpg

They need no other adornment.

Posted by Cassandra at June 5, 2014 07:08 AM

Comments

My peonies are blooming yet, but the tulips did and now the gladiolas are popping out everywhere.
Those are pretty. And I agree, most flowers don't need any more adornment than that which they blossomed with.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 5, 2014 12:15 PM

*aren't* blooming yet
*sigh*

Posted by: DL Sly at June 5, 2014 12:15 PM

Things are really starting to "pop" in the garden this week. It has been a very cool but almost impossibly beautiful Spring here in DC.

I have 4 different colors of yarrow, ranging from pale pink to fuschia to yellow to a coral red with yellow centers, my yellow coreopsis is getting ready to bloom any day now, the Stella D'Oro daylillies are just now opening and I've got tons of lavender, fuschia, and white verbena mixed in with those tiny petunias. And miniature roses!

This was a hard winter. Last year I planted 6 butterfly bushes. 4 of them are only 6 inches high (they were 5 feet tall last winter) and my hydrangeas died off above the ground too.

The rhododendrons were the prettiest I've ever seen them this year but the hollies looked like they'd been mugged with a baseball bat in a dark alley (they're just now sprouting new green leaves and dropping the freezer-burned ones).

I can only imagine how pretty your garden is going to be!

Posted by: Cass at June 5, 2014 01:13 PM

Our vegetable garden is really growing. Yesterday I noticed the potatoes and the carrots had sprouted above ground, and two more of the pumpkin types had sprouted in their buckets. The peas and beans are already climbing their trellises and my tomatoes have so many blossoms on them I may be canning a lot sooner than expected.
The flowers that the VES and I planted are all on their third budding since planting and are really spreading now to fill their planters. I was just checking and deadheading them yesterday while I took some micropix. I'll download and post them later today. We've got pansies and baby-faced violas that look like they came out of Alice in Wonderland, white and pink to purple bleeding hearts, purple petunias and a really pale fuschia as well as begonias, lilacs and lavender. My roses are still just starting to bloom, and the clematis hasn't started yet.

Posted by: DL Sly at June 5, 2014 01:34 PM

MUST you contribute to the obscenity of the interwebs by posting such overt pictures of the sexual organs of other species?

:^D

Posted by: IGotBupkis, "Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses." at June 8, 2014 05:16 AM