July 07, 2014
Sounds Like A Job For.... UNILATERAL ACTION MAN!!!
Congress refuses to act on Paycheck Fairness. For some time now, the President has been bragging about his phone, his pen, and his willingness to go around those
legitimately and democratically elected representatives of The People... err... mean, womyn-hating Rethugs.
With the White House’s release of its payroll, administration officials once again are having to explain how it is that they can complain about the gender pay gap and then have one of their own. It didn’t go so well the last time this contradiction came up in April. And it didn’t go so well this time either. What the new salary release shows is that the administration has not narrowed the pay gap between men and women employees at the White House since 2009.
...“The president is strongly supportive of the Paycheck Fairness Act. The president signed an executive order essentially applying the principles of the Paycheck Fairness Act to federal contractors. That’s as much as he can do using his executive authority.”
Which leaves this question: Can’t Obama also use his executive authority to hire more senior-level women in the White House who make over $100,000?
Luuuuuuuuuuuucy! Jou got some 'splainin' to do!
Although the sample size is significantly smaller, a similar analysis of the salaries of First Lady Michelle Obama's staff shows a substantially larger difference.
... there are only two men on the first lady's staff. They are the directors of Let's Move and Joining Forces. Their salaries average $123,307.....The average pay for the remaining thirteen women is $84,133, a 46 percent difference from the men's average.
There are three women whose pay is higher than the men's average, including one making $172,200. The position title for each of these women also includes "assistant to the president" in addition to responsibilities for the first lady. A fourth woman, whose salary of $103,000 is well above the women's average, is also listed as assistant to the president.
... President Obama was the subject of criticism even from allies at the start of his second term for a shortage of women selected for replacement cabinet positions. Mrs. Obama herself has largely escaped such criticism for her own staffing choices despite the fact that her husband's staff is far more diverse than her own.
Of course all of this is just plain silly, but these are the kinds of ridiculous, innumerate arguments the President has been making all along. Now that those arguments are being used to suggest that he's just as sexist as those mean-spirited, womyn hating Rethugs, the White House tells us that "it's complicated". And there are "a variety of measures" to measure inequality that only seem to matter when we're talking about the White House.
And his hands are tied. On other things, he's perfectly willing to go around Congress. But when it comes to his own staff, there's nothing he can do.
The video is priceless:
Posted by Cassandra at July 7, 2014 07:06 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Well, that's a first. An auto-playing video on VC.
Posted by: DL Sly at July 7, 2014 02:43 PM
Ok, so here's what I got from reading the report:
1. The median salary at the White House is $107,000 (not counting the two dopes who get $0, 1 man & 1 woman);
2. Of the 454 paid employees, 26.2% (119) earn above the median salary (73 men - 46 women);
3. Of the 228 salaried men, 31% (73/228) are paid above than the median;
4. Of the 226 salaried women, 21% (46/226) are paid above the median;
5. 22 receive the top salary of $172,200 [11 men (50%) & 11 women (50%)];
6. 24 receive a salary above $160k [12 men (54%) & 11 women 46%)];
7. 27 receive a salary between $140K and $159.999K [15 men (56%) & 12 women (44%)];
8. 42 receive a salary between $120K and $139.999K (29 men (69%) & 13 women (31%]);
9. 53 receive a salary between $100K and $119.999K [28 men (53%) & 25 women (47%)];
10. 51 receive a salary between $80K and $99.999K [24 men (47%) & 27 women (53%)];
11. 85 receive a salary between $60K and $79.999K [40 men (47%)& 45 women (53%)];
12. 172 receive a salary between $40K and $59.999K [79 men (46%) & 93 women (54%)];
13. 146 persons receive a salary in excess of $100K [85 men (58%) & 61 women (42%)], and,
14. 75% of the stenography positions at the White House are held by women: 2 stenographers (0 men & 2 women)($63K each), 2 Deputy Directors of Stenography (1 man and 1 woman)($75K each), and 1 Director of Stenography (1 woman)($115K). This has got to stop!
Posted by: spd rdr at July 7, 2014 04:20 PM
I have never understood how anyone can perform a "fair" salary comparison without taking experience/education into account.
You can't just say, "They're both doing the same job/have the same title" because their resumes or performance aren't guaranteed to be equivalent.
And the notion that the only reason the highest paying jobs (aka, the ones with the longest hours/most pressure) aren't evenly distributed is.... [drum roll]... SEXISM!
What the President keeps claiming is that unnormalized salary averages prove a failure to provide "equal pay for equal work". But they don't. Except when it comes to to his White House - then, all of a sudden, the distinctions he glosses over all the time are *relevant*.
And important. Because it's... ummm... complicated :p
Which you'd understand, mr rdr, if you were as smart as Barack Obama. But no one is as smart as Barack Obama. Even Barack Obama isn't as smart as Barack.
Posted by: Cassandra at July 7, 2014 05:11 PM
I included the bit about stenographers because it demonstrates how ability to provide the White House with cutting edge stenography completely transcends accepted gender norms. It's equal pay for equal work and, by God, beats dictating a letter with a tape recorder sitting on your lap!
Posted by: spd rdr at July 7, 2014 06:36 PM
I included the bit about stenographers because it demonstrates how the ability to provide the White House with cutting edge stenography completely transcends accepted gender norms.
And I'll bet they're all secure in their Persunhood, too :p
Posted by: Cassandra at July 7, 2014 06:59 PM