« Beans Beans The Magical Fruit | Main | Ignoring the Science, Immigration/Welfare State Edition »

July 17, 2014

Sugar And Spice And Everything Nice

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body." ~ Elizabeth Stone

This heartbreaking, yet inspiring, story was below the fold of my paper this morning.

"TOLEDO, Ohio — Just days after his infant daughter’s death, Nathen Steffel asked strangers on the Internet for only one thing: He and his wife wanted a photo of their daughter without the breathing tubes and tape that masked her little face.

The response has been overwhelming.

Hundreds of photos, sketches and paintings have poured into the family’s northwestern Ohio home and their inbox."

Some with beautiful results...

Sofia.png

Speaking of beautiful results...

It came to my attention, ok, my inbox, that another miracle took place over the weekend, and due to that, our beloved Princess may very well be experiencing a few fashion failures every time she pops another bra strap showing off the bling from her latest trip.

For the office:
office mug.png

And the car:
car mug.png

Not to mention her new screensaver:
bling sticker.png

And, of course, something to read as she hits the gas and blows by your ass:
bumper sticker.png

Now, this isn't to say that she isn't as proud as hell of her two grandpunks. Y'all know that just ain't true.
But a granddaughter....
And the first one.
Now that's something.

congrats.png

Congrats, my friend.

Posted by DL Sly at July 17, 2014 12:46 PM

Comments

I was an only granddaughter for a long time. It was nice ;-)

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 17, 2014 04:05 PM

Thank you. She is just perfect :)

Posted by: Cassandra at July 17, 2014 04:55 PM

Congratulations, Cassandra, and to the rest of your family as well.

Posted by: Elise at July 18, 2014 09:00 AM

Thanks, Elise :)

Posted by: Cassandra at July 18, 2014 06:19 PM

Welcome to the little one, and congratulations to all!

Posted by: htom at July 18, 2014 09:30 PM

Delightful! I have a new Granddaughter (10 months and bit this week) and she is the new found love of my life! I can't seem to get enough of her - much to the chagrin of her Dad and Mom! Congratulations!!!

Posted by: Barry at July 18, 2014 09:58 PM

Congratulations, Cassandra, and to your own.

Posted by: Grim at July 18, 2014 10:14 PM

Cassandra has a new (first) granddaughter?

It seems like just yesterday she was fussing with a couple of teen-aged sons.

To better days, and more beautiful grand children to come. Congratulations,lady.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 19, 2014 01:22 PM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone :) We are very happy and proud grandparents. Boys are wonderful but little girls have their own special charm. Can't wait to watch her grow up.

I'll be back Monday. Still recovering from the trip and several nights of missed sleep.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 19, 2014 04:23 PM

We're blessed with two granddaughters (we have 5 grandsons) ages 13 and 11. They're a lot of fun, and enjoy doing things with their grandfather. They also enjoy their grandmother, but she does stuff like shopping or working around the house, whereas I do cooking, baking cookies, work on outdoor projects, sometimes take them golfing, etc.

Posted by: Rex at July 20, 2014 09:26 PM

Congratulations!

And may the sleepless nights for your own kids be over soon.

At least until the reason changes.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at July 21, 2014 10:37 AM

Thanks :)

You've gotta love technology. #1 Granddaughter had her first Baby Face Time with Grandma and Grandpa yesterday. There's something magical about being able to see and talk to your tiny granddaughter from hundreds of miles away :)

Rex, some of my fondest memories are of "helping" my Dad work on the car or in his workshop. I'm pretty sure I wasn't all that much help, but he was a good sport about it. I never got to spend time with my grandparents like that, but our boys did.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 21, 2014 10:42 AM

"There's something magical about being able to see and talk to your tiny granddaughter from hundreds of miles away :)"

I'm guessin' you're happy that that whole "smellivision" thing never came about, though.
heh
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at July 21, 2014 12:00 PM

Well if the Unit is anything like my father (and I get the distinct impression he is), I fear you will find that he's going to spoil granddaughter #1 that she bonds with him pretty strongly.

Funny story. Grandpa (my dad) was playing dolls with oldest niece (first, and at the time only, granddaughter) which mostly involved holding "Batman" and asking in a false bass voice what Barbie wanted him to do, when duty (grilling dinner) called him away. However, Grandpa suggested that maybe my bride might play dolls with her in his stead. And so she did for a time, putting on the same false bass voice. But so too did my bride get called away, so under that bus goes Uncle Mike. Dutifully, I took control of "Batman" (in reality a GI Joe doll, but who was to correct a five year old) and asked Barbie her pleasure.

Posted by: MikeD at July 21, 2014 01:45 PM

But so too did my bride get called away, so under that bus goes Uncle Mike. Dutifully, I took control of "Batman" (in reality a GI Joe doll, but who was to correct a five year old) and asked Barbie her pleasure. "No, no, NO, Unca Mike! Batman has to talk like a MAN." Cue the laughter from the peanut gallery. Thus was I emasculated by a little girl.

Heh :)

I almost wrote an entire post once on the word "emasculated". Can't happen :p A man is never so attractive (at least to these eyes) as when he's being gentle or playful with a small child :)

I, too, suspect the Spousal Unit will be putty in those tiny hands...

Posted by: Cassandra at July 21, 2014 02:02 PM

"Had my manhood belittled" perhaps then? I knew what she meant (as did all around). It was still funny.

Posted by: MikeD at July 21, 2014 02:17 PM

I just think that word is funny.

Probably a girl thing. Good on you for being such a good sport :)

Posted by: Cassandra at July 21, 2014 02:22 PM

"Actually I think she did fill her diaper while we were on the phone. She got very active all of a sudden, which is usually a sign :p"

Um..., the urge to make the obvious comment is so strong..., but I'll resist in the name of kumbaya or peace or whatever.
heh

"Good on you for being such a good sport :)"

It never fails to give me a grin when the *biggest* of men sit down and play with the "Princesses" in their lives. It is perhaps the coolest thing I've ever seen.
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at July 22, 2014 01:17 AM

Speaking of little baby girls... my best friends just had a new daughter last night (two days ahead of scheduled delivery which itself was a few weeks early). 5lbs 3oz, 18 inches. Babies are wonderful!

Posted by: MikeD at July 22, 2014 09:34 AM

They are that :)

We had so much fun watching the Chalupa on our phone - you can see so much more when they're moving than you can from still photos.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 22, 2014 09:36 AM

Chalupa? If she's got a good amount of baby fat, wouldn't Gordita be a more appropriate food analogy?

Posted by: MikeD at July 23, 2014 11:59 AM

She arrived a little short on the adipose tissue, but she appears to be working on that via agreeing to drink as much milk as she's offered :p

Babies... they give and they give and they give...

Posted by: Cassandra at July 23, 2014 12:15 PM