« Young Men, Empowering Women Everywhere | Main | Reality Bites Back »

August 26, 2014

Scientists Get the Sads

As if more evidence were needed, we present to you the ultimate appeal to authority: sad puppy eyes.

ifeelsad.png

In his black-and-white photography series "Scared Scientists," Nick Bowers captures a raw element not often associated with scientific knowledge. For the series, Bowers interviewed a selection of scientists in varying fields, capturing the frightened looks on their faces while they contemplated their findings. The photos are minimalist but intense, each wrinkle and crease pointing to a human unease we can all connect with.

...On his website, Bowers combines a striking portrait with the specific field, educational background, and future predictions of each scientist. Although their powerful words provide an interesting context for their expressions, we think the faces alone say more than enough.

Indeed. Our greatest fear is of people who find this sort of nonsense convincing. But this also makes us feel very sad:

Like... inclusivity as an intentionality is Very Problematic when you don't understand the dynamics of power.

Twerking is a subject we should all treat more seriously.

Posted by Cassandra at August 26, 2014 03:04 PM

Comments

I wonder how many scientists were sad to lose "brontosaurus" as an appellation. Pluto as a planet, or settling whether the "D" of DNA was "DE' or "DES" = a number. I would think.

Posted by: John A at August 26, 2014 04:35 PM

WHAT??? I throw you people a softball like the twerking video and you give me "brontosaurus"???? :)

The important insight here is that These Important Scientists Who Are Way Smarter Than You are sad. And very, very scared.

And so should you be, mister :p

Posted by: Sister Mary Bag O'Metaphors at August 26, 2014 04:52 PM

Yeah, frankly people getting all worked up about computer models that don't even work when used to try and replicate the past but predict a disastrous future? Doesn't really bother me.

But, but, but... it will get a half a degree warmer over the next century! Wesa gonna die!

Yeah... not so much, cupcake. Show me your data, show me your modelling, and show that it can replicate previous climate history and THEN we can talk about your doomsday cult.

Posted by: MikeD at August 26, 2014 04:56 PM

And frankly, the twerking thing was just as stupid as the video I once watched where two feminists both tried to out-authentic-victimhood each other (because one was a lesbian who was upset that the other had brought a transgendered person to her march).

Posted by: MikeD at August 26, 2014 04:59 PM

I am still laughing at all those morons sitting around seriously analyzing the implicit power dynamics and unearned race privilege in... twerking.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 26, 2014 05:26 PM

You know what gives this scientist a sad? Scientists who are overly emotionally attached to their models.

Posted by: YAG at August 26, 2014 06:05 PM

Scientist, or a wanna be weather guesser w an infatuation for SPSS?

Posted by: CAPT Mike at August 27, 2014 12:39 AM

This infatuation with 'warming' is definitely a first world problem. Hyped by people whose solution is to make us regress to third world poverty. Anybody mention to these scientific types that massive immigration from the third world would create a much bigger 'carbon footprint' from their increased resource consumption, which apparently will doom us all?

Posted by: model_1066 at August 27, 2014 06:11 AM

Posted by: YAG at August 26, 2014 06:05 PM

Don't forget their attachment to their government grant money!

Posted by: model_1066 at August 27, 2014 06:12 AM

I'm sorry, that was just funny. I am truly amazed any scientist would buy into the premise. "Let me show you a sad."

I would suspect the only emotion I ever showed over the years might have fallen under the "oh crap, I didn't see that coming" rubric.

Posted by: Allen at August 27, 2014 11:40 AM

Well, there are SOME models that I would like to have a minimal emotional attachment to.

Yeah, a model. That's the ticket.

Posted by: Jon Lovitz at August 27, 2014 01:12 PM

These people need to get the f*** over themselves.

Posted by: Texan99 at August 28, 2014 11:29 AM

You want twerking? Very well. Strictly speaking this isn't twerking, it's just how it should be done.

How to Shake It

Posted by: Joatmoaf at August 28, 2014 06:28 PM

I have told my daughter The Following:
"If I ever catch you twerking..."

Posted by: Carolyn at September 4, 2014 09:58 PM