« Good News and Bad News | Main | Ian Desmond is the Man »

September 16, 2014

Not So Much An Apology

As an explanation. I know I said I would judge both contests last week, and such was my full intent until I received an invitation that I would have regretted declining.

GNP 1.JPG

The first dusting of snow of the year at Glacier National Park made for the beginning of a truly amazing day. With McDonald Creek in the foreground, Mt. Vaught sits at 8,850' in the left foreground while Heaven's Peak stretches up to 8,987' in the distance. To the right, Clement's Mtn at 8,760' brushes off the last of the morning mist.
0>;~]

Unfortunately, the snow closed Going To The Sun road past a certain point, but that in no way, shape or form means the Park is a wash. After turning around at the closure point, we decided to meander back down McDonald Creek...

GNP 2.JPG

...to a point where the water falls into crystal clear pools of glacier-fed water. This was taken from about 30' above a very quickly moving current.

GNP 6.JPG

Frames by such ridgelines as this with Mt. Brown at 8,565', it's easy to imagine you've stumbled onto a Peter Jackson "Lord of the Rings" movie set.

GNP 3.JPG

Next up, was a drive to the far west side of the park, and damn near Canada.

GNP 4.JPG

In the foreground to the right is Numa Ridge. Just beyond in the center-left Kintla peak soars to 10,101' with the Kintla Glacier (one of the 26 remaining glaciers in Glacier National park) just below it. Farther to the left are the Boundary Mtns separating the United States from Canada. After a 16 mile drive up into those mountains, we arrived at Kintla Lake...

GNP 5.JPG

...framed by the Boundary Mtns.

As the day was getting late, and we had miles to go just to get back to pavement, this was the end of our travels for the day. As the aspenglow slowly climbed the mountains and descended into the valleys, we made our way down a meandering river road back to civilization.
Aaaand I remembered that I was supposed to have judged the caption contests.
Ah well, such is life.
Judgement will be coming soon.
0>;~]

Posted by DL Sly at September 16, 2014 12:41 PM

Comments

As much as I would like to make some obnoxious comment; I can only be envious as I have pictures of GNP as my wallpaper! The captions you provided here paint a wonderful picture. I believe you are forgiven!

Steve

Posted by: Steve Kinne at September 16, 2014 03:05 PM

Wow - this is just stunning! Thanks for sharing (and yes, I *am* jealous) :)

Posted by: Cassandra at September 16, 2014 04:09 PM

Thank you, Steve. As for you, Princess, you know the way to my house....of course, that does mean you have to by-pass the new grandpunk on the way.
I know...choices, choices.
heh
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at September 16, 2014 04:37 PM

Sly,

I hate you.

That is all.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at September 16, 2014 06:06 PM

Hmmmph! Not so much apologizing as bragging. Which is well done and an event that deserves to be bragged about. I am not envious; I am flat out jealous. I spent my early childhood in the Bitterroot range. Very nicely shared and I am so glad you had a great time, it's brought back wonderfilled memories. Thank you, DL Sly (and you are forgiven the tardy Judgement.)

Posted by: htom at September 16, 2014 06:09 PM

Moar pitchers!

Judgement Day can wait.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at September 16, 2014 06:32 PM

My sister lives up that way somewhat, these days. She's planning an event in late June. I asked if she might move it a week earlier, and she said she couldn't because it might snow that early in the year.

Posted by: Grim at September 16, 2014 07:30 PM

Well, htom, at the time that I realized that I had completely blown off doing the Judgement that morning, I really did feel bad...ish.

Now, now, YAG, don't hate, just put it in your bucket list of places to take Mrs. YAG and the Yagettes some day. Because, honestly, pictures may be worth a thousand words, but there are some things for which one just must be there.
0>:~]

Posted by: DL Sly at September 16, 2014 07:31 PM

Yep, definitely going on the list. We'll start taking them as soon as the youngest is old enough to really remember the trips, maybe 3 years or so.

Yellowstone (Summer and Winter)
Grand Canyon & Hoover Dam
Glacier National
Napa Valley (ish)
Biltmore

Feel free to make suggestions.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at September 17, 2014 09:28 AM

YAG,
While you're visiting Glacier, you do not want to miss the National Bison Range. It's a self-driven tour where you can see not only bison, (and if you're unlucky enough, get stuck in a buffalo herd. Did you know you really can't rollerskate - much less drive - in a buffalo herd? All you can really do is sit back and eat your lunch until they decide to move along.) but also elk, white tail and muley deer, mountain goat, antelope, native birds of so many species that you lose count and, of course, all against the background of the Montana Rockies, in particular, htom's beloved Bitterroot Mountains.
And, if you're so inclined, you'd have a personal guide.

Grim, your sister is quite correct. I've been up here when we've had 3' of snow fall as late as June 13th. But then, two years ago, the early Easter saw 85 in late March.
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at September 17, 2014 11:51 AM

"Judgement will be coming soon."

Sounds like those "THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR--REPENT!" types. (laugh)

Yes, your judgment is coming soon, but no need to repent for indulging yourself in the beauty of Glacier Park.

In this case, you've already had your reward--"Dessert served BEFORE dinner!"

Your penance will be having to judge TWO contests!

Posted by: frequent flyer at September 17, 2014 03:50 PM

I always prefer to eat dessert before dinner everytime I can, ff.
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at September 17, 2014 05:41 PM

Seconds on dessert? Yes, please! (I know, it's already here.)

Posted by: htom at September 17, 2014 09:13 PM

Hi YAG,
Recommend seeing glaciers in Alaska that run all the way to the sea, and at least one of the temperate rain forests.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at September 17, 2014 11:10 PM

We tried to go to Glacier one August when we were home for our repat from Saudi Arabia. We got to some little town near there late one day and planned to go in the next day, but got snowed out.

Gotta try again, obviously!

Posted by: MathMom at September 17, 2014 11:41 PM

Beartooth Highway (US 212) from Red Lodge, MT to Cooke City, MT and up through the Beartooth Pass (>10,000 feet) and into Yellowstone (comes into the part at the northeast corner.) The Grand Tetons National Park (just west of Yellowstone.)

The lazy way is to get to the south US 89 and drive north in the spring, or to the north end in the fall and drive south. You'll go by seven national parks, each of which is worth a day (or a month if you get out of the car and walk a day or two.)

Posted by: htom at September 18, 2014 01:02 AM

And now, for a DIFFERENT sort of adventure at Glacier--visit the bar in Babb--just east of the park.

It's the BADDEST BAR IN THE WEST. Bullet holes in the walls, and the tables and chairs are fixed to the floor. Don't go alone.

SLY, I KNOW you want to go!

Posted by: frequent flyer at September 18, 2014 12:38 PM

Oh dear Lord.

Please do *not* encourage her... :p

Posted by: Cassandra at September 18, 2014 01:06 PM

I hate to inform you of this, ff, but I got thrown out of that bar in a different lifetime. And while none of the bullet holes are mine, a few knife marks are.
I wonder if they remember me. Or just the hat.
It was kind of funny, as a matter of fact, as we were driving around, I didn't remember the scenery, but knew and had been in pretty much every single bar we passed by. My friend was just shaking her head in wonder at how I couldn't remember the scenery.
heh
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at September 19, 2014 11:01 AM

And she wonders why I haven't visited her yet...

/running away, breathing heavily

Posted by: Darth Vader at September 19, 2014 12:43 PM

Key words here, "...bar we passed by."
Chicken.
heh
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at September 19, 2014 01:09 PM

Chose your battles, if you can.

Posted by: htom at September 23, 2014 02:19 PM

These days, yes.
Back in that lifetime?
Not likely.

Posted by: DL Sly at September 23, 2014 04:38 PM

I should have said "Chose your bottles ..."

Posted by: htom at September 24, 2014 07:50 AM