« Valuable Perspective on False Rape Accusations | Main | Correlation, Causation, and the Marriage Gap »

October 01, 2014

Do Cats Have Elbows?

Perspective, again:

Let’s imagine that Republicans swept the 2012 elections and were now in control not merely of the House but of the presidency and the Senate, too.

Now let’s take it one step further and say that by using the filibuster the Democratic minority in the Senate had successfully blocked President Romney’s appointments to federal district and appellate court judgeships.

What if, faced with this Democratic intransigence, the conservative Federalist Society helped devise a strategy to revamp Senate rules to eliminate the filibuster so that judicial nominees could be confirmed by a simple majority instead of the 60 votes required to overcome a filibuster?

The elimination of the filibuster has allowed President Romney to appoint three judges to the critically important United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, establishing a decisive 7 to 4 conservative majority on that bench. What’s more, two of the the three judges newly appointed by President Romney are members of the Federalist Society and the new conservative majority on the D.C. Circuit is now positioned to rule Obamacare unconstitutional.

The Koch brothers — recall we are still in an alt-hypothetical universe — reward the Federalist Society by directing 100 loyal billionaires to contribute to the group.

Would these developments provoke liberal outrage?

They certainly would.

But it’s not only the right that uses secretive organizations to keep rich donors anonymous while it seeks to influence elections and policy. Liberals do the same, and the press in large part gives them a pass.

As you no doubt realized while you were reading, the hypothetical described above did not take place, but something approximating it did. Instead of Republican offenders, the players were President Obama, a Democratic Senate, the progressive American Constitution Society, and the Democracy Alliance, a network of very wealthy liberal donors.

Posted by Cassandra at October 1, 2014 08:58 AM

Comments

Cats do not have elbows. Cats have ebola.

Federalists are too smart (and cool) to have cats.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 1, 2014 04:46 PM

Federalists are too smart (and cool) to have cats.

Says the man who owns *how* many cats?

*running away* :)

Posted by: Cass at October 1, 2014 05:04 PM

I have NEVER owned a cat (has anyone?). And although I am happily married to a woman who allowed as many as six of the nasty creatures to infest my home at the same time, there are now NO CATS in the rdr abode - a condition that will exist until I depart the planet. Woof.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 1, 2014 05:30 PM

My cats have elbows. But my chickens do not have lips.

Posted by: Texan99 at October 1, 2014 05:42 PM

If I had any cats, I think I would like for them to have elbows. But I do not have any cats.

And I am SHOCKED... SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!! to hear that the rdr household bravely soldiers on, sans felines :p

Posted by: Cass at October 1, 2014 05:58 PM

My cat has thumbs on her front paws, and five toes on the back. All with claws. But since she has decided that the litter box is no longer where she wants to deposit body waste, she is now an outside cat. Until the VES moves on to bigger and better things. Then, she's the VES's problem.
heh
And I used to like cats.
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at October 2, 2014 12:51 AM

I have two cats (both genetically female but surgically neuter). I don't know if you can say they have elbows, as that implies arms. As far as I know, they each have four knees, but I have a couple of vet friends that I can ask if you like.

Posted by: MikeD at October 2, 2014 11:54 AM

From one of my vet friends (the other confirmed this as well:
"2 elbows and 2 knees, although if you want to know the technical terminology, knees are called stifles. Elbows are just elbows"

Posted by: MikeD at October 2, 2014 12:45 PM

From one of my vet friends (the other confirmed this as well:

I did *not* know that, Mike. You have solved one of the great mysteries of the universe, and we are eternally in your debt.

I would have guessed it was 4 knees, but now that I've been Ensmartened, I plan to flaunt my Unearned Factoid Privilege every chance I get :p

Posted by: Cass at October 2, 2014 05:12 PM

I'll keep that in mind whilst I'm out and about in the abundance of mountainous terrain right out my doorstep.
heh