« Pockets are Sexist. And iPhones. Also, Bicycles | Main | UNM Sexually Harrasses Its Own Students »

October 02, 2014

STOP PROFILING ME!!!!

Haters. They just can't stop their hating ways:

A survey has revealed the cars most likely to be given a ticket on America's roads – and the results prove it is not all about horsepower.

The study found that the Subaru WRX tops the national ranking - and one in three drivers of the turbocharged vehicle has a recent traffic violation.

...Insurance.com Managing Editor Des Toups said it was not all about powerful vehicles.

‘Cars don’t get tickets, drivers do – but those drivers like the WRX,' he said.

Hmmmm..... we have not yet started driving the WRX to work - all that clutching is hard on the knee, so the Spousal Unit has been driving it. He just got a ticket in DC.

The Batmobile was unavailable for comment.

Posted by Cassandra at October 2, 2014 08:19 AM

Comments

Sporty, red cars driven aggressively garner many tickets. Having a Grateful Dead sticker on the rear window doesn't help either.

As pointed out to my daughter by me and her (Police Officer) brother several years ago.

Her response" "That's not fair".

You can guess my rejoinder.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at October 2, 2014 09:33 AM

I never got pulled over in the RX8 (which was red), but then I don't drive aggressively.

I do drive *fast*, but I don't tailgate and almost always slow down to let people in unless they're being utter jackwagons, in which case I will admit to taking malicious delight in punishing their apparent belief that they're more important than anyone else on the road (and that rules are for The Little People).

I once asked my son if the car made any difference (he's a traffic cop). He said that he pays more attention to how the person drives - if they're speeding and also erratic and aggressive, he's almost always going to pull them over.

If they're speeding but appear to be doing so safely, he is more likely let them off with a warning.

Posted by: Cass at October 2, 2014 10:00 AM

Someone told me of a friend who was pulled over. The cop said, "Do you know why I pulled you over? You were driving like an a**hole."

Posted by: Texan99 at October 2, 2014 12:33 PM

I tend to leave very large gaps between myself and the next vehicle. Normally it's fine, but if I go into Atlanta it drives people insane to see that much space unfilled on the road. They will kill themselves trying to get around me so they can get in that gap, which allows them to drive exactly the same speed as before a few car-lengths further ahead.

Posted by: Grim at October 2, 2014 02:36 PM

I drive fast. I got nailed in Louisiana because I forgot to turn on my radar detector, but when it's on I can spot them. In the Keys I can't really go fast because of the dynamics of the island layout, but in Miami 90-95 is normal.
So far I've only had the Charger up to 145 mph. It had plenty more to go, but even then it felt like I was cruising at 60.
What can I say? I really like my car.

The Dodge

Posted by: Joatmoaf at October 2, 2014 08:00 PM

Cass:
"But I imagine that in most cases, the car is part of the total impression a driver gives off - pretty much like clothes or outward appearance."

Nailed it. That was also part of the daughter discussion, along with if you associate with druggie shitheads people will assume you are a druggie shithead.

That discussion finally seems to be taking root in her mind at age 42 (!).

Sigh.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at October 3, 2014 10:12 AM

Better late than never, Cap.

Posted by: Grim at October 3, 2014 10:17 AM

How the hell do you get a speeding ticket in a Prius - other than as just reward for driving the damned thing.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 3, 2014 12:33 PM

Here, here, Joatmoaf!!!

My Durango and 300 both cruise easily at 110-115 without nary a shimmy or shake - because they both have the same size engine. Thank goodness I've finally moved to a state that understands that long tracts of open roads are best traversed at high speed.
heh
0>;~]

Posted by: DL Sly at October 3, 2014 01:38 PM

Nice ride, Joatmoaf! :)
Oh, and the car looks nice too.

/I am *so* going to pay for that...

Don't be dissin' mah Prius, lawboy :p

Posted by: Cass at October 3, 2014 01:49 PM

That discussion finally seems to be taking root in her mind at age 42 (!).

Well, you know what they say about parents getting smarter as their children grow older :p

Posted by: Cass at October 3, 2014 01:52 PM

Cass:

Yep, knew that. Hope springs eternal.... etc. ;-)

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at October 3, 2014 06:14 PM

Speeding ticket in a Prius? Would you believe >50 mph in a posted 30 mph school zone? With kids present? No one injured, other than the driver's pocket. Fines double in school zones. Fines double in construction zones. Yes, the judge can and did apply both of those excessive penalties. Let's see, 20 or more over posted, $212. Double, $424. Double, $848. Late to court, argue with Judge, argue with officer, argue with video tape showing kids in line at achool bus, argue with judge again, contempt, $1048, court fee $150 ... cheap at $1198. Don't know who the driver was, I was told this by the officer who wrote the ticket and went to court.

Posted by: htom at October 4, 2014 09:33 PM