« Did Illegal Immigrant Children Bring Enterovirus to the US (and ... err...Canada)? | Main | Things the NIH *Did* Have Enough Money For »

October 13, 2014

The Kids Are All Right

Or at least some of them seem to be:

A state university intramural soccer program is under fire by students for it's "sexist" policy of awarding two points when a female scores a goal and just one point if a male scores.

Intramural faculty at Appalachian State University (ASU) said the co-ed league implemented the policy when the program was just getting started in an effort to encourage female participants to join.

Kate Rhudy, a sophomore music therapy student, says the system is outdated and is no longer applicable with the league’s high volume of participants.

Rhudy has played soccer since she was a child, and says the scoring system perpetuates sexism throughout the intramural community.

“I just want the game to reflect fairness to both sexes and be the real game of soccer,” Rhudy told The Appalachian.

You go, girl :p

Posted by Cassandra at October 13, 2014 12:11 PM

Comments

I dream of world in which everyone can score as many points at soccer as anyone else--maybe some kind of lottery, or they can take turns at "guaranteed" scores--and I won't be satisfied with the justice of our system until someone delivers this to me.

Posted by: Texan99 at October 13, 2014 12:36 PM

Exactly :p

What I find amusing about this story was this quote:

"“These rules haven’t been evaluated in 20 years and there might have been a reason to have them in the past, but they’re not relevant today,” Rhudy said. “It results in the development of a different game of soccer and it perpetuates a stereotypical gender rule.”"

Logic that might well be applied to a lot of really dumb remedies aimed at gender injustice :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 13, 2014 12:39 PM

A sophomore musical therapy student complains that gender-affirmative soccer scoring perpetuates sexism in the intramural community at Appalachian State, and I did nothing.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 13, 2014 01:05 PM

spd, you magnificent cis-heteropatriarchal ba**ard, you :p

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to throw that one out. Admit it: you did that to oppress and Other me, didn't you?

Posted by: Cassandra at October 13, 2014 01:18 PM

Well! It seems that someone's certainly in need of some serious musical therapy around here!

Posted by: spd rdr at October 13, 2014 01:53 PM

Wow, I had never heard that song. No wonder her music was allegedly used to torture detainees at Gitmo :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 13, 2014 02:33 PM

It's amazing to me that anyone plays any sports at Appalachian State. Hiking, camping, canoeing, backpacking, riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway... who needs sports?

Posted by: Grim at October 13, 2014 03:58 PM

Well, the natural selection process would, if the rule is voided, result in fewer and fewer women playing soccer--assuming that objective is actually to win games. That is unless, the University imposes (wait for it)......(drum roll)....QUOTAS!

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at October 14, 2014 09:35 AM

I can't imagine wanting to play on a team where I received preferential treatment. I would feel so humiliated.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 14, 2014 09:43 AM