« The Matriarchy Strikes Back | Main | Free Trader »

November 03, 2014

WHAT TIME IS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT????

Posted by Cassandra at November 3, 2014 08:04 AM

Comments

I set my clock back to 1983 and left it there.

Posted by: spd rdr at November 3, 2014 07:20 PM

"Only the government would think that you could cut the bottom of a blanket off and sew it on the top to make it longer" - Teddy Roosevelt's Indian Chief hunting guide, when asked what he thought of daylight savings time.

Posted by: Richard Crainium at November 3, 2014 08:13 PM

See? Told ya.

Posted by: spd rdr at November 4, 2014 10:55 AM

I seem to take the contrarian position on DST. I'm a fan.

To continue the blanket metaphor: if you have a 7' blanket but 5' of it are below your feet, then pulling it up to your shoulders (or cutting off the bottom 5' and sewing to the top) doesn't make it longer, but it does make you warmer.

DST isn't about making daylight longer, but locating in a more useful spot. DST seeks to keep sunrise relatively constant. Having the sun up between 4-5am when I'm sleeping isn't useful. Having the sun up between 7-8pm when I'm awake is.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 4, 2014 11:23 AM

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 4, 2014 11:34 AM

I will admit that I kind of like DST as well, YAG :p

But I couldn't help yanking spd's chain a little, because he hates it.

/running away

Posted by: Cassandra at November 4, 2014 11:51 AM

Love, love, love this excerpt from spd's article:

At the time, libertarians found Reagan “too kind, gentle and sentimental” and lacking a “blueprint for radical governance” (David Stockman), and the true progenitors of the tea party found him a captive of the “establishment” (Richard Viguerie). In fact, Reagan’s presidency represented an accommodation of the theory of the New Deal and the Great Society (the existence and constitutionality of Social Security and Medicare), coupled with a strong objection to the coercive, uniform and bureaucratic methods of modern liberalism. On economic policy, Reagan was deeply committed to cutting marginal tax rates but willing to accept tax increases in other areas. He operated, according to Olsen and Wehner, “within the four corners of reality.” He was “more a Burkean conservative than a Jacobin.”

I still remember my Dad being frustrated with how Reagan was treated by many in the GOP while he was in office.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 4, 2014 12:08 PM

I had my issues with President Reagan, but I believed in him. Think about that for a moment. It'll make you cry.

Posted by: spd rdr at November 4, 2014 05:24 PM

I loathe Daylight Savings. I hate that it causes the sun to be up before I am and down before I leave work. About the best thing I can say in its favor is that the new times we're now operating on limit the problem somewhat. But I'd be thrilled if we just dumped the damned thing. There are more people in the US who play World of Warcraft than people who farm. So all these traditions built to help "farmers" (like summer vacation in schools) seem more than a little foolish.

Posted by: MikeD at November 4, 2014 08:14 PM

I like summer vacation. It's great to have time to spend with your children. The rest of the year, the state sees more of them than you do: they're gone from before dawn until dark this time of the year, if they're involved in any after-school sports. You see them two days a week and for a short sprint in the evenings when you have to get homework done, dinner in them, chores finished, and them into bed.

Posted by: Grim at November 4, 2014 08:34 PM

DST didn't cause that. Standard time caused that. That said, I wouldn't complain to much if we just stuck to DST all year and defined 1pm as the time when the sun is highest in the sky instead of noon. But then why not just have the work day start at 7am instead of 8am?

DST wasn't to help farmers. The cows and the corn don't care about the clock.

The factories and offices do, though.

Posted by: Oinker :©) at November 7, 2014 11:15 AM